Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The adjustments could be made in the mpguino when cylinders are shut off, but only if the same cylinders are shut off every time, the monitored cylinder is never off, and - perhaps most critical - the ecu tells you when it is in power-save mode. Do these cars typically indicate this mode with a LED or such?

If they vary the # of cyl (say, a V8 cuts to 6 for some economy, then 4 for super economy), or if they skip different cylinders to keep the wear even, then you'd have to monitor each cylinder's pulse to get any kind of accuracy.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Yah, lot of variables, I'd say look at a specific example. It may very well be (for balance reasons) that there are two injectors where one will be on and the other deactivated. Or just hook them all up with diodes and when the others stop squirting the total injector time will reflect that. I don't think you need the ecu to to "tell you", but replace the diodes with LEDs if you want to see what is going on with the injectors anyway
Old 08-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Whilst I love the MPGuino, I decided to embark on a more sophisticated performance-focused project from scratch using the 328 chip. I'm using a Nokia colour LCD screen with a 5-way joystick (colour is cool and buttons are fiddly) and have incorporated inside/outside temperature, battery voltage/current/Ah, MPG & trip functions and accelerometers. I'm thinking of adding 1/4 mile, 0-60 timing, boost monitoring, oil/water temperatures etc.. It's still a work in progress, but it's already running beautifully so far..only a matter of days before version 1.0 is ready. Anyone want to help? Tony
Old 08-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Bug - '69 Volkswagen Bug Base
Dark Overlord - When you get it up and running to V1.0, mind posting pictures? It sounds like a cool project.

So would the Fuel injector cutoff monitoring thing be something to consider for later generations of MPGuino, or at least a more advanced version?

Also, if there were to be a "super" Mpguino, what do you all think should be on it?

1969 VW Bug - Daily Driver
1975 VW Baja - Current Project
Priors:
1989 Honda Prelude Si 4WS (RIP)
1995 Honda Prelude Si (Traded)
1980 Fiat Spider 2000 (Sold)
Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #15 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkid2002 View Post
So would the Fuel injector cutoff monitoring thing be something to consider for later generations of MPGuino, or at least a more advanced version?
Just FYI, the gph reading should go to zero when the injectors stop. So there already is some indication.

Also, a resistor and an LED (and maybe a capacitor) would work if you want a dedicated injector indicator. Don't really need a whole computer for that function.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Uhm, just an update on this thread, I still plan on doing this, but hopefully with the Seeduino Mega instead of the Arduino mega. Few more pins for a few less bucks, which sounds good too me (room for further expansion?). I'd do it already, but I kinda am lacking majorly in the cash department. Didn't expect to need an external hard drive for college.

I'm debating on adding a few things into the project if I can, including a temp gauge that would measure external temperature, or air intake temperature.

I'm not sure what to add right now. Suggestions? I'm hoping to get this finally started within the month. Just depends on some ridiculous variables, none of which I can predict, and all of which effect this project.

Priors:
Old 11-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Masiniukas - '94 BMW 316i Compact
to gtkid2002. For LCD use something like 128x128 Nokia 6100 screen, its cheep and has a good support (Interfacing Nokia 6100 color LCD to AVR controller).

You can also look at this project for some ideas: xarias

Regarding Mega board. There is one more (cheaper) choice: Roboduino Mega which is Arduino Mega clone, but comes from china. With all in black it also looks better then Arduino Mega. You can buy directly from them very cheep with some help of google translate (Roboduino Mega).

I am also making a custom device based on Mega board for my vehicle. I am considering to use RPM, fuel tank level, injector, speed signals as inputs. Additionally I am going to use temperature in and out sensors. I will log all the data into SD card and as for interface I am considering to use bluetooth serial link to do all the manipulations via windows mobile device wirelessly. Once I am done and if I will still have some interest I will continue by adding GPS + inertial sensors such as gyro, accelerometer.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I would totally order that, but I cannot read Chinese at all. And is that right converting to about 2.50 per unit?! If that's the case, I should buy twelve or something.

The reason why I'm leaning towards the Seeduino is because it has 70 pins, not 54, and when it's on sale, costs about 15 bucks less than the Arduino Mega.

And I think doing a RPM/Tach sensor would be awesome, but my car has a cable driven tach. Kind of lame for this purpose, but whatever. It works.

And on the screen, I don't mind it being monotone. I'm putting it directly where my current defunct speedometer is, so I need it a little bigger actually. I just can't afford the big-big one.

Priors:
Old 11-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

translate.google.com might help a little with the verbiage
Google Translate

Here is a price translation, maybe
218 yuan in dollars - Google Search
Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM   #20 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Masiniukas - '94 BMW 316i Compact
Whatever you are doing, probably you will not need those extra inputs/outputs. The places where you use many I/Os are e.g. LCDs, graph-bars, LED digit displays, etc. However, if you choose things like Nokia 6100 which has serial controller on-board (ref) you will use only 4 I/Os on you Mega and probably you will not need more than 10 I/Os for the rest. Just look at MPGuino schematic, it still have some of I/Os available.

For example, if you use GPS, accelerometer, SD card, etc. you will probably use serial communications with them meaning that they will use 2 (COM) or 4 (SPI) pins. Using SPI you can connect multiple slave devices to the same bus. Using 1-wire interface you can connect 5 sensors or more using only 1 pin.

I wanted to get Seeduino Mega as well when I was looking for Mega, but unfortunately it was expensive to get it in the place where I live because of post fees and taxes.

The only problem for me using Mega vs. Seeduino Mega at the moment is that Arduino Mega have access to 6 out of 8 external interrupts. 4 of those 6 included are placed on important pins such as TXD1, RXD1, SDA and SCL. So if you need serial communication then you loose those. But of course you can get around this problem in software, using pin change interrupts or using other 3 serial ports available on the board.

Reply  Post New Thread