Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #61 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Vader - '15 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

Cmax - '13 Ford Cmax SEL
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
I drive by two different police stations every day to and from work. See squads almost every day and never been stopped in my vx.

You cant judge all by one or two experiences. My father in law was a deputy sheriff that served proudly for many years. He was also a WW2 vet that saw enemy fire against the Nazi's. He would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. If you were to be pulled over, he was the type you'd want to do it. Fair, honest, firm was still style.

As long as cops come from the human gene pool, you will have good ones, bad ones, and those in between. Pretty much like in every other vocation.

The Following User Says Thank You to drainoil For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-19-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #62 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drainoil View Post

As long as cops come from the human gene pool, you will have good ones, bad ones, and those in between. Pretty much like in every other vocation.
Exactly
Old 09-19-2014, 08:02 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My grandfather was a Va state trooper during prohibition. There were 7 troopers in the whole state when he started in 1924. The bootleggers drove armored cars and carried machine guns. He stood up to a mob that was trying to lynch a black man for sexual assault and the white girl was lying, only witness against the innocent man. Every one in the mob knew grandpa, and he told them who he was going to unload his .38 and double barrel in to and the loudmouth ring leaders decided it was not worth dying. He passed at 62 from a blood clot probably from a motorcycle wreck in 1945.

regards
mech

Last edited by user removed; 09-19-2014 at 08:10 PM..
Old 09-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainoil View Post
Not really. First, police work tends to select for the bullies. Second, even the good cops will close ranks to protect the bad ones, simply because they're fellow cops.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #65 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Not really. First, police work tends to select for the bullies. Second, even the good cops will close ranks to protect the bad ones, simply because they're fellow cops.
Yes, that is true. But this is the second time you remarked that the police are "bullies", and that sounds like your attitude is anti-police.

Personally, I don't like the current drift in in world politics toward authoritarianism, AKA a trend toward becoming a Police State. But I do agree that cops are only human, and are mostly doing what they were trained to do. As with all professions, (although technically, being a police agent is not one of the traditional, actual 'professions') there is 'the Good, the Bad and the Ugly'. It's not limited to the police. There are good doctors, bad doctors; good lawyers, bad lawyers; good priests, rabbis and ministers, bad priests, rabbis and ministers, etc., etc.

There are "good" members on this list and "bullying" members on this list. The benchmark of good or bad behavior is not whether someone feels wronged or offended.

It's the human condition. Let's take life in stride, and try to be good.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #66 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I just wish that more people liked me as much as my dog. He is not even my dog, my sister just told me I was getting him if I bought a house. It just seems that the smarter they are, the less they usually like me.

I need to check out Mensa. Maybe I can convince some intelligent people to like me.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maybe Im the only one who can see the elephant in the room? If your eco driving causes you to be pulled over, maybe you should curve your habits? Maybe save them for side streets?
Old 09-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #68 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Maybe Im the only one who can see the elephant in the room? If your eco driving causes you to be pulled over, maybe you should curve your habits? Maybe save them for side streets?
Idk, people get pulled over for speeding all the time because they prefer to go fast. Telling them to 'slow down' doesn't make them slow down. So I'll go slow for them haha. Tbh though I try to do the speed limit and stay with the flow of traffic as much as I can. I will not speed though. Waste of gas and it's not illegal to go the speed limit as long as your in the right lane.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Yes, that is true. But this is the second time you remarked that the police are "bullies", and that sounds like your attitude is anti-police.
Amazing how you managed to figure that out! [/sarcasm]

But I wish you would explain why my attitude, or the attitude of any person who's been on the receiving end of the police experience, wouldn't be anti-police?

Or indeed, why it is that the real problem is the police attitude? If I think back on all the interactions I've had with police officers - I mean what you might call the 'social' ones, not me getting stopped/arrested or such - I can't instantly recall more that a in which the officer did not act like an overbearing, arrogant jerk. So why should I like people who tend to act like that?

Last edited by jamesqf; 09-20-2014 at 01:46 PM..
Old 09-20-2014, 01:58 PM   #70 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
There are all kinds of drivers, ecomodders, and police. Everybody has different attitudes and experiences,and they are not necessarily related.

I did not want to start another argument, but I think this thread has reached its conclusion. I may have more problems driving the Civic than Dad's Focus, but I am not sure that it is worth getting into debt.

Please enjoy your day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
Arragonis (09-20-2014), RedDevil (09-20-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread