Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Hi,

No, I think they mean a release for the hatch near the driver's seat. Just like the release for the fuel filler door. These weigh next to nothing -- a cable and a short lever. If it weighs more than 5 or 6 ounces, I'd be surprised...

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Hi,

The Toyota Auris is the same platform as the Corolla; so it is the hatchback version of the Corolla. It looks like a slightly elongated version of the Yaris:

Unfortunately, they seem to not have done anything to make it lighter weight -- it has a curb weight of ~2,756 pounds.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #43 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Thats maybe a hair (50 lbs) lighter than my Matrix, which is also based on the Corolla. Just looks like it has a different front and back end (and engine obviously).
Old 05-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

[The trunk release "safety feature", a handle inside the trunk to open the trunk, came about because of...]

...Because of some media flap when a few kids crawled into the trunk of a car and shut the lid behind them...

What the heck, it doesn't weigh much nor add much complexity to the release in most cases.

-soD

Last edited by some_other_dave; 05-11-2009 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Restoring lost context
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Impala - '04 Chevrolet Impala base
90 day: 32.84 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Airbags first appeared in some Tempos in '85; Metros were introduced to the U.S. in '89...

lol ok ok, at least a couple of you have politely jumped me on my "misquote"/"deliberate exaggeration" on when airbags were available in comparison to the production cycle of the Metro. I yield!!! lol

My thoughts on the issue were to simply point out that the Yaris with its required airbags (gotta love government "requirements) has pros and cons with the beloved/bemoaned Metro which, at first, did not have or require those airbags.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
F***ing finally! I went to europe this winter and saw all kinds of better-than-american cars let alone american car(s). The ford Ka was released in 1996... why wasn't it released in the U.S.? Sure there are assholes here who think SUVs and giant chevy impalas are oh so much safer, but considering all that I know, and all that everyone on this forum knows, there can't be THAT much of a minority in the US that knows well that the 30MPG mark is NOT a significant milestone in car mileage. I find it so hard to believe that american consumers PREFER an 11mpg piece of **** that is "safe" and huge to a 45mpg "dangerous" Ford Ka or Geo metro. To an extent I agree with the free market capitalism thing "hey, if people want to buy giant, irresponsibly inefficient vehicles, then let them have cake!", but I can't get on board with it when it comes to vehicles. I see a hummer and I always think "you're using up perfectly good gas that I could be using several factors more efficiently - you're wasting gas that I could be using more responsibly".

This argument that all the pundits are making about "well, these are the types of cars americans want to buy" is bollocks. I bet people would buy Ford if they released the Ka in the US, they would buy the diesel ford focus and the diesel audis, just as people buy the VW TDIs. I would have no problem supporting the domestic auto industry if they didn't make ****ty cars - the durability is NOT my issue here - who gives a **** if your vehicle is durable and lasts a long time if it weighs 98237 pounds and gets 8mpg? If I weren't a used car kind of guy, I would definitely buy a ford or GM car if it had better mileage than honda or toyota, etc.. This is not the case. Maybe this is not the attitude of the majority who "need" to cart their 2+ children around to karate, soccer practice, play dates, masturbation excercises, etc... All I have to say is that we're overpopulated anyway. We have many cultural problems, and entitlement and addiction to energy are just two of them.

I can tell I'm losing my coherence in my drunken rant here (it's my bday night ), so here's the obligatory "I love you guys... seriously man" "This is such a good forum, and I'm glad not everyone out there is seriously uninformed or irresponsible"

f***

lol... hey I like my "large chevy Impala"... granted it is not the Caprice model lookalike, so I actually have a v-6 fwd instead of the v-8 rwd platform that I am thinking you are refering to...lol Seriously though, a neighbor of mine has an 03 Impala like mine, and was overheard bemoaning the fact that he was going to have to give it up for an "econobox" (almost fell over when I heard that term from someone like him) Anyway, I cornered him later, and took him out for a drive in mine, and made a few observations as I tenatively asked what he would sell his Impala for (possible parts car for mine?) Sadly he wants far toooooooo much for his Imp, and politely informed him that his driving style was to blame on his fuel usage. Showed him this site and my fuel logs, as well as pointing out the driving style I was using (a light acceleration and anticipating lights and stopsigns kinda deal) That sort of blew his mind away... he was figuring he was getting 15 mpg in town and barely 22 mpg on highway.

On the safe and huge issue... sadly the American mindset, in general, is Pavlovian (possible spelling error there) towards the bigger is better, and nicer, and probably safer issue. Sadly, watching most of those SUV's and un-eco-responsible vehicles you can see that they are not truely needed, as there is still only one occupant inside as they barrel along at unsafe, above posted speeds. Which nicely ties into the entitlement issue... MINE MINE MINE... lol

/rant
/laughter
Old 05-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hi,

The Toyota Auris is the same platform as the Corolla; so it is the hatchback version of the Corolla. It looks like a slightly elongated version of the Yaris:

Unfortunately, they seem to not have done anything to make it lighter weight -- it has a curb weight of ~2,756 pounds.

Interesting looking vehicle... real question is, will it come with a manual transmission? I was looking into the new Toyota Venza and sadly noted it is not available with a manual transmission. The Auris is a fair bit smaller and lighter, and I wont be too surprised if the powers-that-be skimp on the idea that some Americans actually like gears to play with...
Old 05-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny1989 View Post
They can get rid of that to save a few grams!

Ive never seen an boot(trunk) release handle inside the boot(trunk) in ANY European cars, so why do American cars need them?
Perhaps because our children are special? (read: retarded)
Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Team Nissan

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Vauxhall Corsa ecoFLEX

Hi,

This looks like it could be my favorite GM product!

(click on image for link)

Old 05-27-2009, 04:29 AM   #50 (permalink)
Banned

I saw this lime green disaster on our local freeway today. I'm all for compact fuel efficient cars but do they have to make them so FUGLY?

Ford Fiesta

A few seconds earlier it was passing an early Ford Focus hatch so I was able to compare the two side by side. The Fiesta is exactly the same size. Maybe a little taller than the old focus.

Reply  Post New Thread