Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #41 (permalink)
Smash 100 MPG barrier

Frankie - '07 Ford Focus SEL
back on the WAI for the Focus

so I'm going to get back on my project tonight - by piping in the warm air into the K & N filter - using 2 different approaches (hopefully - pictures tomorrow). One 2" line will be coming from close to the exhause mainfold - the other coming from behind the radiator - hoping to get some nice warm intake temperatures from these 2 sources - but the results will be from the mpg - so I'll be logging everything on the netbook - so hang in there - hopefully pictures tomorrow - and maybe even the results from driving to work - approx 30 miles.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Focus - '09 Ford Focus SES
Uh...

Is this a serious question? A *warm* air intake? You'll be dumping in unnecessary fuel, and burning too rich. That'll lower your fuel economy, not raise it. Hot air is easier for your while to drive through due to the thinner air, but cold air gives denser, more oxygen rich air to your engine.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 PM   #43 (permalink)
DieselMiser

Das Schlepper Frog - '85 Mercedes Benz 300SD
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

Gentoo320 - '04 Mercedes C320 4Matic
90 day: 22.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRTJ View Post
Is this a serious question? A *warm* air intake? You'll be dumping in unnecessary fuel, and burning too rich. That'll lower your fuel economy, not raise it. Hot air is easier for your while to drive through due to the thinner air, but cold air gives denser, more oxygen rich air to your engine.
This is a mod that people swear by on here. I believe the main theory people go by is that it aids in atomization and vaporization of the fuel allowing it to burn more completely.

If you have a properly functioning ECU and O2 sensor, it shouldn't run rich because the ECU will lean out the mixture.

However there are other downsides to doing a warm air intake. One significant one is that it increases the temperature of the combustion gases and thus increases heat rejection to the cooling system. This leaves less energy in the combustion gases to be recovered as power. Another problem with increased temperature of combustion gases is it increases NOx emissions.

I have serious doubts that the positives will out weigh the negatives and only see a warm air intake as a means to warm up an engine quicker.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow, I've never heard of it. Surely the cons out weigh the pros. The engine would also get hot easier, requiring the cooling system to work even harder. So many things that I see wrong with this. Warm fuel is great, and it seems like he is using this WAI as a lazy way to get warmer fuel.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:22 AM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

n/a - '05 Ford Focus ZX3
On cars used primarily for short trips, a WAI helps with faster warm-ups, which gives low idle speeds earlier in a trip. Especially when combined with hypermiling techniques, this improves per-tank or per-trip mileage.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:46 AM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I could see the benefit on a very short trip, or a relatively short on a cold winter day. But other than that, it doesn't seem to have any advantages.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #47 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRTJ View Post
I could see the benefit on a very short trip, or a relatively short on a cold winter day. But other than that, it doesn't seem to have any advantages.
IDK if this has come up in this thread, but a standard line here has been that a WAI reduces pumping losses. The ECU adjusts AFR, so the mix won't become lean as the warmer, thinner air gets pumped into the engine. But less mass of air means less fuel too... that means you get less fuel/air at a given throttle position. Therefore to accomplish the same power you open the throttleplate further, reducing the parasitic losses caused by the engine trying to suck air/fuel in past the throttle plate.

So the warmer the engine, the warmer the air, the better the reduction in pumping losses. Therefore, I'd guess short trips will not see a benefit, unless IAT climbs high, fast, somehow.

IDK if a WAI can help warmups... maybe?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 12-30-2015 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: typos
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-31-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #48 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
When I tested it, it didn't really help a noticeable amount.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-up-11471.html

Xist (12-31-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread