Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Piwoslaw, your grammer is so much gooder than mine is. ( No seriously ... it really is better than mine. )
I grew up being taught that people from other countries other than the U.S. were uneducated poor people that were oppressed under communism, and couldn't even afford to buy good shoes.
Thanks to the Internet, I am so thankful that todays children have a more accurate view of the world.
And, yes I too was confused as to why that you would want to have 'weighted' your car.
( I thought " What is he adding ballast and racing the car at Bonneville ? )

English has a lot of strange words like " There is a tear on this paper. " Am I taliking about crying on the paper or ripping the paper ? Must be confusing.

To stay on topic, I have wanted to weigh my car at the local truck stop. What do I do, just drive in there and ask the guy to weigh my car ? I would think I would get turned away because it's not a truck. What is the cost ?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

FUEL WEIGHTS:

Diesel: 815 to 855 grammes per litre

Unleaded: 730 to 780 grammes per litre for unleaded.

Pete.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter7307 For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (11-22-2009)
Old 11-21-2009, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post

To stay on topic, I have wanted to weigh my car at the local truck stop. What do I do, just drive in there and ask the guy to weigh my car ? I would think I would get turned away because it's not a truck. What is the cost ?
I did too. I asked a relative, long time trucking, he told me 15 bucks, and just answer the phone by the scale, they call to tell you or CB.
but that's just the scale to my locale.

My own car, I could guess gained 200 lbs to roughly 75 pounds of steel added. the struts and leverages, or whatever trick they got, it is not all that real. A car crumpled up in a ball and weighed is always less....
it is a sick game they play. Little cars have always frightened me as a result.

like a 3600 pund gm car (very common number once upona time) is actually under 3000..but just right in real weight anyway. The sube is a lightweight, but plays with a gyro, very stable, heavier feeling.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post

(man if Frank Lee would just jump in next, then the pendulum of attempts at humor would have completed it's full swing! !)
Waddya mean "attempts"?

Gess eye weighted two long too look inn awn this thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
$15, wow. I brought an old washing machine to the junkyard in my wagon, and they paid me $1.65 for it, and told me what the car weighed before and after. I bet if you show up at the JY with a dollar, they'll weigh your car for you.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
- Svietlana = 1300kg (2860lbs)
When I knew Svetlana, she weighed only 64 kg. I thought that was just about perfect.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Piwoslaw, your grammer is so much gooder than mine is. ( No seriously ... it really is better than mine. )
I grew up being taught that people from other countries other than the U.S. were uneducated poor people that were oppressed under communism, and couldn't even afford to buy good shoes.
Thanks to the Internet, I am so thankful that todays children have a more accurate view of the world.
And, yes I too was confused as to why that you would want to have 'weighted' your car.
( I thought " What is he adding ballast and racing the car at Bonneville ? )
I've heard that often foreigners can know a language better than native speakers (sans accent), since they actually learn the language and all of its rules, while many natives just grow up with it. Natives know what sounds right, but they usually can't explain why this verb is used in such a way and not differently. So much for theory. My English is good b/c I went to elementary and middle school in the US, so it's like a first language for me. When I returned to Poland I couldn't speak Polish, so I had to learn it. Thankfully, there was still some residue hidden in the depths of my head so I learned quite quickly, quick enough to be better in Polish than most of my classmates in highschool. And I'm still way better than they are in English But there are things I've forgotten, and things I've never learned (like when to use effect and when affect). There are good sides to being fluently bilingual (I'm working on more), but I've also missed out on many things when growing up. But enough of this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
When I knew Svetlana, she weighed only 64 kg. I thought that was just about perfect.
Like I said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
(Women - they always lie about their age and weight )
I told other Peugeot owners about how light my car is, and they mostly replied "That shows how accurate the scales are at the junkyard!" I haven't found the European standards for weighing cars, but I'm guessing they are similar to the EPA's testing (thanx, Phil ).

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 11-23-2009, 12:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Wife's Hot Rod - '09 Pontiac G8 GT
Last 3: 23.22 mpg (US)

Big Outback - '13 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Little Outback - '02 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
Having cars weighed.

Junk yards
Small grain elevators - one I know has the readout of the scale visible from the scale itself 24-7.
Landscaping stores, used for weighing stone and other stuff sold by the ton.

Don

Reply  Post New Thread