Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Why do you drive an auto?
I drive a manual 84 54.90%
I have driven both, and prefer auto 19 12.42%
I have only driven automatics 3 1.96%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because of buying used 27 17.65%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because they aren't made (excl hybrid) 16 10.46%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because it's a hybrid 4 2.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #21 (permalink)
16 Ferret Circus

GrumblyDavidson - '00 Harley Davidson Road King FLHRP-I
90 day: 38.37 mpg (US)

Golf - '04 Volkswagen Golf GL-TDI
90 day: 38.29 mpg (US)
Well, because it's the only $2000 VW Tdi i've seen. For ~42mpg, I can live with it, although it happens to have several of my least favorite car features:
It's red
It's automatic
Its aerodynamics are a lie (it looks like it'd be good, but i think my old e30 bmw flying brick actually cuts the wind better)
It's foreign, in so many ways.
It's expensive to fix major systems

the e30 is dead
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EcoSentra - '04 Nissan Sentra
90 day: 35.93 mpg (US)
This poll is missing an option: "I have driven both and prefer a manual."
Old 12-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_Sentra View Post
This poll is missing an option: "I have driven both and prefer a manual."
That is the assumption if you are selecting anything other than preferring autos or only driven autos. I'm assuming (possibly stupidly so) that virtually all people who drive a manual have also driven an auto at some stage.

Ideally the poll would ask which transmissions you have driven/which you prefer, which your current car has, and if the preferred and current don't match, why it ended up that way. Unfortunately VBs polls are not advanced enough to cover all the options without having a massive list of combinations.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Focus was originally my grandpas and it had an automatic. So when I got the car it had an automatic. I wish it was manual though. Maybe i'll swap the transmission some day.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
They should add stick shift to drivers ed, The US is probably the only country where most people buy automatics. Other countries only teach stick, since any chimp can figure out an automatic, and would probably be appalled to drive one having learned stick
New Zealand and Australia both have more automatics than manuals, at least in new car sales (and for NZ, freshly imported used Japanese cars).

NZ has an automatic-only restriction for the 'restricted' (no passengers or late night driving without a supervisor) license if you don't take the test in a manual, but there is no transmission restriction on a full license. A lot of people in NZ decide to go with the auto-only restricted license according to a driving instructor I was talking to, so much so that few driving instructors offer lessons in a manual.

Australia will only allow you to drive a manual if you sat your driving test in a manual, so if you take your full license in an auto, you'd have to have a supervisor with you if you were going to drive a manual.

Personally, I think that everyone should drive a manual unless they have a physical condition preventing them from doing so, as having to pay some attention to your car makes it harder to text, eat, sleep, drink, talk, and play monopoly with your kids while you drive.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:16 PM   #26 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
They should add stick shift to drivers ed, The US is probably the only country where most people buy automatics. Other countries only teach stick, since any chimp can figure out an automatic, and would probably be appalled to drive one having learned stick
On the bright side, many of our carjackers are so ignorant that they can't drive a stick car away.

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Cd (03-18-2012)
Old 12-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
LOL, I got my learners permit at 15 years 8 months. Took the test in a 1958 VW. The clutch was slipping so bad I thought I would not be able to get the car moving when the 300 pound State Trooper got into the passengers seat.
It might have well been an automatic HeHe. The next thought was "Oh God I hope he doesn't go through that rusty floor!"

He only marked me down for parallel parking, but a lot of that was because I really couldn't see very well around him!

No outside right mirror didn't help either.

How about making them get their license on a motorcycle .

regards
Mech
Old 12-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
bnmorgan -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnmorgan View Post
Well, because it's the only $2000 VW Tdi i've seen. For ~42mpg, I can live with it, although it happens to have several of my least favorite car features:
It's red
It's automatic
Its aerodynamics are a lie (it looks like it'd be good, but i think my old e30 bmw flying brick actually cuts the wind better)
It's foreign, in so many ways.
It's expensive to fix major systems
I've also heard that Ferrets aren't too good at manual. That's what I've heard, anyway.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 12-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Old Mechanic -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
LOL, I got my learners permit at 15 years 8 months. Took the test in a 1958 VW. The clutch was slipping so bad I thought I would not be able to get the car moving when the 300 pound State Trooper got into the passengers seat.
It might have well been an automatic HeHe. The next thought was "Oh God I hope he doesn't go through that rusty floor!"

He only marked me down for parallel parking, but a lot of that was because I really couldn't see very well around him!
I did my test in a 1972 VW Karmann Ghia stickshift. It never really occurred to me to do it any other way. We also had a 1971 Chevy Impala with automatic. That would have been a disaster to parallel park. Later on I got my motorcycle license in a 1972 Honda CB 350F. 374 lbs isn't heavy for a lot of you, but it made the test *very* interesting for me at 130 lbs.

On another note, the driving tests weren't very hard. I'd never have passed the Finland tests, then and probably not now.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 12-05-2010 at 03:46 PM..
Old 12-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
I drive an automatic mostly because I have a bad knee and ankle (on both legs actually, the gas peddle is slightly painful). Driving a manual is physically painful for me. Also I bought used, and this was the best deal I could find. Used cars are expensive chicagoland, for nearly new. I bought still under warranty.

Reply  Post New Thread