Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Why don't you own an electric vehicle?
Every last one of them was recalled and electric cars are no longer around. 4 4.71%
I'm waiting another 10 years untill something great comes out. 7 8.24%
I can't afford one, not even a used one. 44 51.76%
They don't have the range I need 46 54.12%
I can't find one that my family would fit in. 3 3.53%
What are you talking about? I already own one or more electric vehicles. 15 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #71 (permalink)
Juiced Drag Racing

1929 Model A on E85 - '29 Ford Model A Street Rod
Cave Man (Times 2)

You do not know what you are missing....and that is OK.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

They don't have the range I need. And I do own 2 of them. One runs and only has short range. The other one 1996 Ford Ranger is not done yet. Bought it at an estate sale, someone started the conversion and then died. (MAN HOPE THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ME) So now, I just have to finish it. I want it to go 30 plus miles on a charge.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #73 (permalink)
Juiced Drag Racing

I wish you were closer. I would love to help.

I have a car and converted Motorcycle. I am getting 36+ MPC on the Motorcycle. I have lead acid in the car so about 20 is all I get. Plenty for
going to work and back.

Ed
Old 11-19-2010, 11:07 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey Juiced what type of batteries are you using in the motorcycle?
Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Silver Scrapper - '02 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 32.64 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
I agree completely. If someone were to dump an anemic Tesla in my driveway, I couldn't call the junkyard fast enough to have them haul it off because of that limited 250 mile range.
If someone "dumped" an impractical $100,000 sports 'thing' in my driveway that takes 32 hours to charge and might go 250 miles if I drive it soft and slowly in a non-sporty way I couldn't sell it fast enough to get something that I can fit my family and luggage into for a weekend getaway and go over 600 miles on one tank of bio-diesel, not coal burning electricity which we use enough of in our homes and industry, and have $70k to do with whatever I pleased.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
I agree completely. If someone were to dump an anemic Tesla in my driveway, I couldn't call the junkyard fast enough to have them haul it off because of that limited 250 mile range.
I think it is about 300 mile range, but that is beyond the point. With no outlets available, and no safe zone in a wide open 70 car garage: I am not the least bit interested in another electric car in my space for everyone to play with when I am not around.

Another thing is the way crowded zombies drive around here. I am a nervous worn out wreck after driving a few hours. When that Aspire gives up; I am so fed up with other drivers that I might sparingly use rentals or Zipcars. I lock up the E-Pod about a mile from here (closed garage) so that is impractical.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #77 (permalink)
Juiced Drag Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
Hey Juiced what type of batteries are you using in the motorcycle?
We have the Lifepo4 Headways - 96 of them. I am trying to get another 24 to fit somewhere but 36 miles is more than I need in a normal day. The battery pack is 72 volt at 40AH.

Evalbum 2456

On a side note: Too many folks are putting "non commuting" standards on car/motorcycles that are really designed for commuting.

I expect in a few years, most people will have a "travel" car and a "commuter" car.

Imagine having 1/2 of the vehicles in a city running on electricity?
Imagine the cleaner air, imagine the less noise. If you like out in the rural land of the mountains, of course you do not need to care.

As far as charging time. Most if the time you car/motorcycle sits, doing nothing. So why is it such a hassle to have it charging while it sits??

Most people that do not want one have never ridden in one. I do not mean a slower than dirt NEV, a real run around town fun electric.

Here is me having fun with one of theses 3 cents per mile electrics. Impractical? sure, but a blast to ride!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #78 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I don't get the people who want a large vehicle that only gets used to it's fullest use once or twice a year, when the Honda insight first came out years back there was talk about how if you owned one you would save enough money that you could rent a suburban to tow your boat for your two weeks of vacation per year and still come out way ahead!
My electric car is put away for the winter (it's 30 years old and I don't want someone sliding thru a stop sign and smashing it) but a while back I was driving my gas car so little that 2 different friends were sharing my gas car, my parents have a pickup truck that we all use to haul big loads and tow trailers, there is no reason for everyone to own a vehicle that can make a cross country trip or tow a trailer, it's all about using the right tool for the job and went you find you don't have the right tool but only need it for an afternoon rent it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
roflwaffle (11-20-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 02:02 PM   #79 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...why? can't afford that 100-mile length of extension cord I'd need (wink,wink).
Old 11-20-2010, 02:47 PM   #80 (permalink)
Juiced Drag Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
...why? can't afford that 100-mile length of extension cord I'd need (wink,wink).
LOL So true!!!!