Go Back   EcoModder Forum > cfg83's Profile > Albums > Saturn
Register Now
 Register Now

Picture 8 of 25 from Album Saturn
My 1997 SC2 - I bought this specifically because I thought it was a great design by an AMERICAN car company that also got good gas mileage. I have always loved Moon disks on hot rods, and I imagined this car on the freeway 'hovering' because the Baby Moons made it look like the wheels weren't spinning. 

The problem was that the snap-ins lose their grip over time. I think that the steelies flex and eventually loosen the teeth. In addition, every time you take the wheel cover off and on to check the air, you loosen the teeth a little bit more.

The end result is that for some reason, when I hit certain bumps, the front passenger wheel cover would fly off. Always the front passenger wheel, which makes me think it had something to do with the torque/differential characteristics of my FWD. Finally, because the disk bows out, it would get damaged in automated car washes that pull the car along.
My 1997 SC2 - I bought this specifically because I thought it was a great design by an AMERICAN car company that also got good gas mileage. I have always loved Moon disks on hot rods, and I imagined this car on the freeway 'hovering' because the Baby Moons made it look like the wheels weren't spinning.

The problem was that the snap-ins lose their grip over time. I think that the steelies flex and eventually loosen the teeth. In addition, every time you take the wheel cover off and on to check the air, you loosen the teeth a little bit more.

The end result is that for some reason, when I hit certain bumps, the front passenger wheel cover would fly off. Always the front passenger wheel, which makes me think it had something to do with the torque/differential characteristics of my FWD. Finally, because the disk bows out, it would get damaged in automated car washes that pull the car along.
Picture Added 11-13-2011 02:46 PM
Added by cfg83