Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the idea for my metro btw.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
There wont be issue with suspension or cv position. You will use less of the travel than the stock suspension used and you wont be in a position that it didnt use. As for steering, get it in for an alignment and make sure after lowering it that the vehicle didnt come factory with bump steer as part of the design (by fault, not a victory in design).
Old 12-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'd honestly contemplate cutting the stock ones as well

I cut one round out of my springs on my 94 and loved the way it corners now. Ride was not changed much until you hit a large dip in the road at 65. But would do it again in any metro I ever have.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
...so there is no harm in lowering the car, and cutting stock springs has few side effects? interesting.....sounds like a cheap way to lower a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bus - '94 Ford School Bus huge

Stupid - '01 Chevy Blazer LS
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)

hawk - '00 Honda Superhawk
I never said to cut stock springs, just so you know. Spring rate is determined by the number of winds, the diameter of those winds, and the diameter of the wire being wound. Simply cutting them leaves you with the undesired side effect of the spring not being the ideal rate to resist bottoming (especially if the shocks are questionable) and the spring not lining up with the cut outs in the top or bottom spring perch. Other than that, it works pretty good.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

the spring not lining up with the cut outs

This is why i took out exactly one round/coil out so it would line back up.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Rat Swift - '00 Suzuki Swift
Last 3: 41.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiSteve View Post
Looks great. I have the same car (Red 2000 Suzuki Swift even missing the passenger side mirror). Ive been thinking about doing something very similiar but have not because I wasnt sure if it would look ok. But urs looks very nice. I think Im gonna swing by home depot tonight, lol.

Your goal of 50mpg is very possible. My record tank is 52 so far. I too was getting 42 when I first got the car.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to Ecomodder.
Steve what mods have you performed so far? I just got my Scangauge in which I think will help out a lot. I also have done some weight reduction, disabled the day time running lights and my passenger side rear view just feel off one day
Old 12-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
gains

My pickup responded very favorably to its new airdam and you may be pleasantly surprised with your results.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Steve's Suzuki - '00 Suzuki Swift GA
Team Metro
90 day: 51.99 mpg (US)
I have my mods listed in my cars info page. Click on the "Steve's Suzuki" to the left.

The mods that give me the best gains are probably the killswitch, wipers, and tires.

I noticed ~3mpg gain when I took off my wipers, but I dont yet have a mpg guage so i didnt test it or think much of it. Then I talked to another Swift/Geo guy on here and he noticed 3mpg gain also. Not tested but it sure looks promising. Be careful if u do it though. It might not be legal and its not the safest thing to do. I keep mine in back and put one back on when it rains.

Removing the AC belt in cool weather is easy to do on Geos/Swifts. Probably not a huge mpg gain, but easy.

That scanguage is a huge help. It will help you tweak your driving style and let u test mods.

I went by a home depot last night but did not find the nice garden stripping you used. Ill stop by another depot sometime and look again.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
93 Metro Streamliner

AeroMetro - '93 Geo Metro
As someone who has cut the coils, it works great, and no problems. It only cost a cutting wheel, and if you don't have a disk grinder, you can buy one cheaply.

The important part is to keep the spring cool by dipping in water after just a few seconds of cutting. The top of the front strut can spin to any angle; you don't have to cut exactly one coil. I cut 3/4 in front and 1 in back.

And then align the toe when you are done.

Reply  Post New Thread