Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leftnut - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Wheel Skirts and Hub Caps

I have come across some old coroplast signs that I will be making my belly pan out of. I should have extra to use on wheel skirts.

I was looking at putting wheel skirts (or what ever they are called) on the back wheels. It looks like if I go inside the wheel well then it will be scrubbing against the back tire. I would of course have plenty of room on the outside. But there would be a small lip caused by the thickness of the coroplast. Plus it they are on the outside it would be much easier to take off.

What is the best way to do the skirts?

Also I have seen some wheels that have solid hub caps that look like trash can lids does anyone know what these are called? I am thinking of trying them out on the front wheels.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leftnut - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Pizza Pans On the Way!

Okay so I have the pizza pans order and on the way. 4 aluminum 16 inch pans for 28.31 shipped. I went for the aluminum because I read a thread about the other kind rusting.

Now will I gain anything from rear wheel skirts even though the pizza pans will be on there.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, you will still gain from the skirts even with the pans on your wheels. The pans may be flat, but they're still moving. And the tires aren't all that flat on the sides, so they'll all still be grabbing air and throwing it around. With the skirts in place, there will be less air for them to grab.

(Yes, that's an immense oversimplification. But it gets the idea across.)

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread