Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I get 27mpg with my '89 4x4 around town with no special techniques, just a little coasting and keeping the speed under control.
I get around the same 27 mpg from my '88 4x4, though I only drive it when I need to haul stuff (such as loads of logs for firewood), or go places where the road is too rough for the Insight. I've thought about aeromods, but there doesn't seem to be much that wouldn't compromise load-hauling.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepplin153 View Post
I Didnt really think that my economy was all that spectacular at 36.4MPG on my first tank as a Hypermiler. But as I browsed the garage I noticed that most people were getting between 40% and 60% better than the combined rating. So it became very apparent that my results were rather awesome at nearly 100% increased mileage. I live in a very hilly area too.
That's why. Uphill engine efficiency is great, and downhill you can either coast down w/ the engine off, or if the grade is too steep just coast down in gear. Either way you're going to see high load on average, which correlates to good engine efficiency, compared to flat ground where engine efficiency is worse in most vehicles without taller than stock gearing.
The Following User Says Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
zepplin153 (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
brain party

88 toyota pick up - '88 toyota 1-ton truck
90 day: 39.79 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
That is a pretty large increase in one tank for only using technique without instruments - although IMHO that (techniques) is the biggest mod you can do. Do you have an idea of the previous tanks ?

What techniques did you use the most ?
I used EOC. DWB and Pulse and glide. I have a lot of hills. Some of which i can EOC for more than 2 miles. It rocks going downhill. coming back though I have to pay it forward.