Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2016, 11:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeldt91 View Post

Side question? Do you happen to know what would cause a squealing noise immediately after starting when trying to turn the wheel? It only happens when turning the wheel and immediately stops if I stop turning the wheel. I only notice it when I am turning out into the street from the curb where parked when cold then doesn't happen again till the next morning.
check the power steering belt tension.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Side question? Do you happen to know what would cause a squealing noise immediately after starting when trying to turn the wheel?
Does it have a power steering pump belt?
Old 01-13-2016, 12:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beast - '02 VW Goff Estate S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeldt91 View Post

I definitely need an alignment now after doing the clutch. The car has a very slight left pull. Also I think the wheels I got are bent as the steering wheel will vibrate and wobble back and forth just slightly. Might possibly be related to not having hub centric rings.
Check the wheels by swapping them with the spare and seeing if it makes any difference? Or swapping front-to-back on each side in turn if you have no spare?

Quote:

I am going to buy an AC bypass pulley bracket and remove my AC completely as the previous owner had cut the hoses for some reason. I never use it anyways, even if it is hot. I am going to use the AC button in the dash as my injector cut off switch to save fuel when coasting and not have a hideous switch drilled into the dash somewhere.

I also want to do a power steering delete or at least route the tubing back into itself instead of into the steering rack. That should net a good increase in mpg.
Hmmm... I thought about this, but there is a vulnerable spot in the steering: the connection between the steering column pinion and the rack. Models with power steering tend to have a higher (lower?) ratio than manual steering models, so that fewer turns on the steering wheel are required, lock to lock. This means that without the PS pump there could be excessive force and therefore premature wear on that rack/pinion connection. Driving a car with even a small amount of steering play is horrible, and changing a PS rack is neither cheap nor easy. I decided not to risk it.

As I said, I found that there was a non-A/C model which used a shorter belt. Have you checked that belt is not available? Would be easier than fitting a special bracket, no? You're probably due for a belt change anyway. (See below!)

Quote:

I have also noticed my engine overcools to the point where it barely moves the needle.
Have you checked the thermostat is working properly? Most older cars have faulty thermostats. Almost every car I ever bought came with a faulty thermostat. There should be no heat at all (zero) getting down those radiator hoses until the coolant temp has reached 87 C ish and the needle is in the middle.

In fact, yours is a Mk3 Golf I believe - with the strange pneumatic door locks? My last car was a Mk3 Golf estate TDi. One winter I had a BIG problem with the door locks freezing up. I had to open the tailgate and climb in through the back with my snowy old boots, and clamber into the driver's seat from there. I then had to drive a minimum of 40 minutes to thaw out the front door locks so I could get out! (Couldn't open the tailgate from inside!) I took it to a garage and they had no ideas, except to advise me to try squirting oil into the locks, ...which didn't work. Turned out the problem was the engine thermostat. Engine was never heating up properly so cabin heater never worked well, so condensation in doors never dried out. I changed the thermostat and the problem was solved forever.

Quote:

I never reach fifth gear with my larger tires in city. I might put my old one inch smaller tires and wheels back on and see if that helps.
Diesels have much more torque at low revs. Yes, I can drive smoothly in 5th gear without touching the accelerator (gas) pedal at all. 800rpm at 27mph prrrrrrrrrrr..... and I'll get something like 140mpg on the flat. Petrol engines are different.

Quote:
Side question? Do you happen to know what would cause a squealing noise immediately after starting when trying to turn the wheel? It only happens when turning the wheel and immediately stops if I stop turning the wheel. I only notice it when I am turning out into the street from the curb where parked when cold then doesn't happen again till the next morning.
That's got to be a slipping belt, no? The PS pump offers most resistance when turning hard at low speed. Might want to check condition of belt, operation of belt tensioner, etc. I guess a warm belt is more flexible and squeals less(?) But that sounds typical of a slipping belt. If belt is worn or stretched maybe try to get a shorter, non-A/C belt and remove compressor. (Actually I don't know that petrol engine, I'm just assuming it has one belt that snakes around the bottom pulley, PS pump, A/C compressor pulley and alternator pulley. In any case, PS belt slipping.

PS - I just checked and Salem seems to have a similar climate to England. Not super cold anyway. I'm willing to bet you have a faulty thermostat. Engine will run much better at its designed temperature. It may be over-fuelling if it's not getting up to temperature.

Last edited by paulgato; 01-13-2016 at 12:42 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
golf, mk3, volkswagen