Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

Opel Corsa B - '96 Opel Corsa 1.2 8V
90 day: 47.27 mpg (US)

VW Bora 1.6 16V - '02 Volkswagen Bora/Jetta
90 day: 35.84 mpg (US)
Turtle Soon to come Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybdrid (Diesel)

GOTHENBURG (Sweden): Volvo Cars will be unveiling the world's first diesel plug-in hybrid - a virtually production -ready Volvo V60.

The Plug-in Hybrid, which will be launched in the market in 2012, is the result of close co-operation between Volvo Cars and Swedish energy supplier Vattenfall.

The concept of a plug-in diesel hybrid gives the driver the very best of what an electric and diesel car can offer: very low fuel consumption and CO2 levels, combined with long range and high performance.

The 2012 Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid promises a fuel economy of 1.9 L/100 km (123.8 mpg US or 149 mpg Imperial) with carbon dioxide emissions below 50 g/km.

Volvo says the car can be driven on diesel power alone, as a diesel-electric hybrid, or as an electric-only car - technology that no other manufacturer can currently offer.

By simply pressing a button, the car gives the driver the option of how they want to drive:

-An electric car with a range of up to 50km.

-A high-efficiency hybrid with carbon dioxide emissions averaging just 49 g/km.

-A dynamic and engaging car with a combined output of 215 + 70 horsepower, 440 + 200 Nm of torque and acceleration from 0 to 100kph of just 6.9 seconds.

The front wheels of the V60 Plug-in Hybrid will be driven by a five-cylinder 2.4-litre D5 turbo diesel, which produces 215 horsepower and maximum torque of 440 Nm.

The rear axle features ERAD (Electric Rear Axle Drive) in the form of an electric motor producing 70 horsepower, which receives its power from a 12 kWh lithium-ion battery pack. The car features a six-speed automatic transmission. It will be showcased at the Geneva motor show.

The driver chooses the preferred driving mode via three buttons on the instrument panel: Pure, Hybrid and Power. The interaction between diesel and electric power is handled via a control system.

"The technology is still undergoing development and testing, however, the car already points very clearly to what our customers can expect when the plug-in hybrid enters showrooms next year," said Volvo Cars president and CEO Stefan Jacoby.

"What we've done is to spice it up with spearhead technology that allows the driver to choose: zero emissions, high-efficiency hybrid or full-on performance. Just select the mode that suits best."

1.9l/100km on a car this size...that certainly makes me drool

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurentiu For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (02-23-2011)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
I've been hoping VW would do this.
Take an existing vehicle, add rear wheel electric drive and kick it out there.
Really it could even be a sub model. I guess this will be a V60-H

I'd like to see a Jetta Sportwagen TDI-H (drooooool on keyboard)

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurentiu View Post
The 2012 Volvo V60 Plug-in Hybrid promises a fuel economy of 1.9 L/100 km (123.8 mpg US or 149 mpg Imperial) with carbon dioxide emissions below 50 g/km.
Let's see what it actually delivers.

It's tough attaining or beating the EU fuel consumption figures.

Quote:
The front wheels of the V60 Plug-in Hybrid will be driven by a five-cylinder 2.4-litre D5 turbo diesel, which produces 215 horsepower and maximum torque of 440 Nm.
Oversized, overpowered engine.

On spritmonitor.de, none of these engines fitted to a Volvo V50 beat 6L/100 km or 39.2 mpg (US) in actual driving.

Quote:
1.9l/100km on a car this size...that certainly makes me drool
It makes me laugh, as it ain't gonna happen.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
That is certainly a huge diesel, one can easily get by with 2/3 to 1/2 of that power. But that is some nice mileage rating, I want one.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurcher

With the electrics on the rear axle there won't be much regeneration. I'm not optimistic.
-mort
Old 02-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Let's see what it actually delivers.

It's tough attaining or beating the EU fuel consumption figures.

Oversized, overpowered engine.

On spritmonitor.de, none of these engines fitted to a Volvo V50 beat 6L/100 km or 39.2 mpg (US) in actual driving.

It makes me laugh, as it ain't gonna happen.
You have to remember it's a plug in hybrid so that 1.9l/100km consumption are probably figures based on normal city/highway cycles. Also , the 50 km electric-only range is maybe included in their expected figures.

Let's face it, the average Joe in Europe does not travel more than 100 km daily, in most cases it's less than that. I might even say that the 50km (30miles) is enough for most European drivers for their daily commutes to work and back.

One thing that Diesel's aren't too adapted to is the start/stop systems; I figure out that in -10 to 20 degrees temperatures in Northern European winters, driving the car in city traffic, the start/stop system will not agree too much with the slow-warming Diesels

So far, the only start/stop systems coupled with Diesels engine on a long term basis that I know of was the 1.2TDI (VW Lupo/Audi A2) which is around for a decade or so.

"It has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste" Henry Ford
Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
With the electrics on the rear axle there won't be much regeneration. I'm not optimistic.
-mort
Why does it matter that the regen is on the rear axle?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

GreenTurtle (Retired) - '01 Toyota Echo Sedan
90 day: 44.85 mpg (US)

Zulu - '14 Honda CR-Z
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Why does it matter that the regen is on the rear axle?
I believe that up to 70 % of the stopping power is from the front disc brakes. If so, regenerative braking on the rear axle would not yield much, making it not very efficient... I think.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Hypermiling rookie

The fact that the electric motor drive is on the rear axle does NOT in any way imply that there can't be regeneratives brakes on the front wheels (or maybe both).

In fact, having the electric drive on the back axle (with that nice amount of torque) improves traction since the Diesel engine is driving the front wheels.

More details: Here

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigaR007 View Post
I believe that up to 70 % of the stopping power is from the front disc brakes. If so, regenerative braking on the rear axle would not yield much, making it not very efficient... I think.
But the regen works at fairly low braking levels, so it would be applying braking force only to the rear wheels, just as current FWD hybrids apply it to only the front wheels. Then you press the pedal harder, and hydraulic braking takes over on all four.

PS: I don't think the idea is really new. There's a kit car hybrid (Riley XR-3?) that works the same way.

Reply  Post New Thread