Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Which late model car for me?

Which 2008-2010 4 cylinder manual trans cars would be a good combination of affordability and a starting point for getting good MPG? Driving would be a mix of small town local plus rural highway.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Countess - '03 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
90 day: 25.66 mpg (US)
What size are you looking for? Will a subcompact do?
Do you have a bodystyle preference?

I'd say Yaris (sedan or hatch) 29/36mpg

Last edited by A.J.; 03-02-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Try the usual routes: Civic, Corolla and Golf TDI

Here. 30/41 2010 Mk6 Golf
Old 03-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
I'm going to go against the grain and say that maybe you should consider something other than Honda, Toyota, and VW. You will be paying a premium for those brands, and they are not, necessarily, better than some of their competitors. If you are looking specifically for an economy car, the several thousand dollars that you will probably save at the onset might be worth it.

That being said, you haven't given us a lot to go on. Why those specific years? What's the budget? What are your mpg goals? What amenities and capabilities are you looking for? What styles? What are you, ultimately, willing to do to the car?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

As far as goals, for me cars are appliances. I just want them to work. My wife has the "nice" car in the family. It would be a second car, used for running errands, going to the golf course, etc., less than 10,000 miles a year. I haven't driven a recent car or truck that was either bothersome or inspirational enough to get excited either way. One thing is that it needs to be at least usable in snow. Sometimes that requires winter tires, and sometimes just better tires.

I would like something that would carry a golf bag transversely, and probably something with a trunk instead of a hatch, although that point is not a big deal. For examples, a 99 Corolla and 08 HHR cannot fit a golf bag transversely. The bag would fit in the Corolla trunk, though, but it had to be jammed in diagonally. The HHR, seats had to be folded down so the bag could be placed longitudinally.

How is an Accord 4 cylinder MT for real world MPG? I drive economically but don't pulse and glide or that sort of thing.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Countess - '03 Mazda Protege LX 2.0
90 day: 25.66 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
... for me cars are appliances. I just want them to work. ... It would be a second car, used for running errands, going to the golf course, etc., less than 10,000 miles a year.

... golf bag transversely, ... something with a trunk instead of a hatch...
I still think a Yaris sedan could work as a VERY economical (MPG-wise and maintenance-wise) second car for you, if you accept fact that you can't carry 4 passengers AND a golf bag (you probably have to fold the seat).
Old 03-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Just crank over that Duramax and throw in all the golf bags you want.

(Am re-reading CapriRacer's "Revived" tire thread in the Tech section over at WOODALLS -- an RV forum -- and thought, snowman, I know that name.)

Welcome again. Big overlap between all aspects of family fuel use, whether by dollars "invested" and by fuel measure "consumed". Can't dissociate one from the other as they've become the same.

Food for thought:

Might also consider that a high mpg TV and highly aero all-aluminum TT can be a better choice (in some respects) for overall economy: longevity (true permanence) as well as lowest fuel burn due to greatly reduced HP demand.

And eliminating a run around errands car is the biggest savings of all when the TV solo mpg is high.

With the right TT one doesn't need a pickup truck as a part-timer, making potential solo mpg even higher.

Etc.

Last edited by slowmover; 03-03-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Just crank over that Duramax and throw in all the golf bags you want.

(Am re-reading CapriRacer's "Revived" tire thread in the Tech section over at WOODALLS -- an RV forum -- and thought, snowman, I know that name.)

Welcome again. Big overlap between all aspects of family fuel use, whether by dollars "invested" and by fuel measure "consumed". Can't dissociate one from the other as they've become the same.

Food for thought:

Might also consider that a high mpg TV and highly aero luminum TT can be a better choice (in some respects) for overall economy: longevity as well as lowest fuel burn.

And eliminating a run around errands car is the biggest savings of all when the TV solo mpg is high.

Funny, when I look at the post I only see the first sentence??? But when I quote, I get all of the above??

(Edit: Ah, now I see, you were editing your message. )

Thanks, yes I am the same guy on the RV forum!

We definitely are keeping our options open re an Airstream trailer. We want to travel all over the country, and it bugs me to get 10.5 MPG with our current combo. I sort of have a goal of having a 15 MPG combo without giving up much room. I actually would like to get a View or Navion Sprinter-based motorhome, they do get that mileage.

I just want to have an econo-box so I can feel good about running around, hopefully getting 35-40 MPG. I have a 2003 Honda Pilot for running around now, and get better MPG than anyone has a right to expect from it.

In the woulda coulda shoulda category, I once owned a Metro XFi and didn't hang onto it. It would be great for what I do with a car now.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
I actually would like to get a View or Navion Sprinter-based motorhome, they do get that mileage.

Be sure to read Orbywan's Class C threads here. Great DIY and impressive work on aero mods to that moho.

We definitely are keeping our options open re an Airstream trailer. We want to travel all over the country, and it bugs me to get 10.5 MPG with our current combo. I sort of have a goal of having a 15 MPG combo without giving up much room.

15-mpg with a CTD and aero aluminum 28-34' TT is pedestrian. Common. (Fords and later GM doesn't count). The range is 14-16-mpg for at least a half-dozen owners. My goal is 17+ over this coming next pair of calendar years for highs, and to move solidly past 15-mpg for all but mountains.

You are on the right website for learning how to spec the truck and the trailer from the aspect of aerodynamics and for what works on getting best driver performance from best spec'd TV. The guys using European AWD TD SUV's are in the mid-20's for mpg with 23 - 25' Airstreams. Andy Thomson is the CAN AM guru to read all and everything of (extensive searches and especially on AIRFORUMS).

Start from scratch. I went for 2WD turbodiesel manual transmission as the TV also was the DD. Had to be economical all around. No "extra" car will ever match or offset that (after running numbers). 21-city and 25-highway pays for itself when it also tows at 15+.

If Big Dave (with a 7.3L Ford) and Diesel_Dave (with a 6.7L Dodge) can both average above 27-mpg with their trucks (solo) then you've some fun reading ahead on what works and why.

Avion, Silver Streak & Streamline were all better-built TT's than Airstream (but there are tens of thousands of them, and tens of thousands of owners by contrast), so there is a range for any budget or (realistic) level of DIY. I bought both truck and trailer for just under $30k, and had less than $40k in them by the time I was done. Or, a new Mercedes 350 and a 30' A/S for a combined $180k. It's all there.

Ton's of great reading around here transferable to RV concerns. KamperBob, Skyking are other RV'ers here.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You might also consider the Hyundais. I think I have read that the Elantra can return pretty good MPGs, and Hyundai's quality is now pretty good.

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread