Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Busting Knuckles Often

Blue Maxx - '04 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT
Team Chevy
90 day: 26.96 mpg (US)

Tink's Van - '08 Chrysler Town & Country Touring
90 day: 19.09 mpg (US)

2004 5 Speed Goldrolla - '04 Toyota Corolla CE
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.3 mpg (US)
Talking 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx LT V6

Hello all, I want to do a quick intro. I have a lot of details on my garage page.

Original owner of Blue Maxx, got 119,000 miles on it.

My new motto when driving it, after getting familiar with hypermiling techniques:

Festina Lente

It has the GM LX9 60 Degree "High Value" V6.

Just recently been interested in aerodynamics of class 8 Tractor Trailers due to my job, and discovered this site in the process.

Seems as though I have not found much in the way of Malibu owners, esp. the Maxx. But I figured there are so many of them out there, I can learn from other makes and models and hopefully help some people in the process

First thing, and hardest so far, as been to add an Engine Block Heater.

On the rear bank of the block, it has a 28mm threaded brass plug that had to come out. It takes a rare 17mm hex key (sears), cut to size, along with a ratchet, extensions, and pipes, and willing helper, and a lot of luck and sweat, to break the plug free.

I put in a 400 watt EBH from O' Reilly's - ZeroStart model# 3100005

I plan on doing front aero / spats / dams / under tray as needed first.

I love following all the Kammback, hitch mount boat tails, spats, dams, spoiler discussions, tear drop ratios and templates etc. I have learned a lot already.

Low hanging fruit is to first focus my attention on the area in front of the tires and control arms, and not stress as much about the center of the underbody yet.

Chevrolet has a put decent size splash shield to help between the radiator and the engine. Not a lot of trash hanging down more than about 1" below stock air dam, at least in the center.

So my first aero mod to to add spats / front tire spoilers. I have been inspired by simple designs of spats on the Pontiac Vibe and the Mercedes ML350 SUV (another advantage of my job is lots of Mercedes vehicles to look at up close).

So it felt good to start that today. I mounted 90 deg. radius PEX supports designed to bend 1" PEX, just in front of each tire.

The round end of Lawn Edging slips into it nicely, and I plan on having about 3" drop from the under-tray, around the 90 degree bend. I need to get stiffer lawn edging. Any recommendations?

I got cheapest from HD and pretty flimsy...

If any one looks at the area in front of the front tires on the ML 350, online or other wise, that is my inspiration. And I just happened to have the PEX radius supports from Grainger for a plumbing project I have not gotten too yet...

Let me know where and how to start build threads. I already know how to reply to and thank others.

Darin already threw the Kammback idea to me for my Maxx... so it begins...

Cheers,
Sean

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
aero, lx9, malibu, maxx, spats