Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: na
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 277
Thanked 217 Times in 184 Posts
2009 Nissan Sentra CVT S FE+

Any opinions on them?

Looking at one with hail dents, salvage title so no warranty, 56,000 miles. $6950, Took my last Sentra to almost 200,000 miles but that was a 1990.

This would be for my 21 yo daughter to drive.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY state
Posts: 492

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts
56000 miles on a Nissan CVT is pushing it; the CVT is near the end of its life.

Check to see if Nissan extended the warranty to 12 years 120,000 miles on that CVT. If not, don't buy it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: na
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 277
Thanked 217 Times in 184 Posts
Thanks, went and looked at it last weekend and decided against it.

Now leaning towards 09-10 Cobalt sedan for her. 34 mpg with an auto, no ABS, TC, ESC, etc... going with the KISS method.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,303 Posts
No warranty on salvage title vehicle, ask me hoow I know .
I think Nissan retro applied a 10 year 120 k warranty on their CVTs.

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY state
Posts: 492

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Thanks, went and looked at it last weekend and decided against it.

Now leaning towards 09-10 Cobalt sedan for her. 34 mpg with an auto, no ABS, TC, ESC, etc... going with the KISS method.
That's a good thing! She'll be able to learn to handle a car instead of having the computer do it for her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
No warranty on salvage title vehicle, ask me hoow I know .
I think Nissan retro applied a 10 year 120 k warranty on their CVTs.

regards
Mech


On most of them. May not go back that far. I like Nissan and a lot of their products, but their CVTs are horrible and they just absolutely love putting them in everything. I'm sure they will stuff one in a truck before too long ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,303 Posts
They put them on the Murano and rate it to tow 3500 pounds and guarantee it for 10 years and 120k miles. No one else does that and a lot of the manufacturers are going to CVTs. Made by Jatco I think.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 04-09-2014 at 09:15 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: na
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 277
Thanked 217 Times in 184 Posts
Her current ride, 98 stratus her grandparents gave to her when she was 11 or 12, I drove it the few years too keep it loose. Only had 100,000 miles then, and everything worked, today no ac, ps or FM radio and 240,000 need a new alternator, my 14 yo son is going to try to get a few more years out of it and is excited about it, got his school permit last weekend.

Jatco, majority owned by Nissan makes CVT for the Spark and Mirage probably more. Consumer reports says 09's are good, used CVT's on ebay are only $400. Seats are 5x better than the cobalt's. I didn't drive it but the seats were instant confort after 120 miles in the cobalt.

I still like Nissan product better than most GM's but living in the sticks, GM's are just cheaper to buy/own. Love to get a Juke for the wife and Micra for me after I wear the cobalt xfe out or hand it down to my current 14 yo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY state
Posts: 492

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Her current ride, 98 stratus her grandparents gave to her when she was 11 or 12, I drove it the few years too keep it loose. Only had 100,000 miles then, and everything worked, today no ac, ps or FM radio and 240,000 need a new alternator, my 14 yo son is going to try to get a few more years out of it and is excited about it, got his school permit last weekend.

Jatco, majority owned by Nissan makes CVT for the Spark and Mirage probably more. Consumer reports says 09's are good, used CVT's on ebay are only $400. Seats are 5x better than the cobalt's. I didn't drive it but the seats were instant confort after 120 miles in the cobalt.

I still like Nissan product better than most GM's but living in the sticks, GM's are just cheaper to buy/own. Love to get a Juke for the wife and Micra for me after I wear the cobalt xfe out or hand it down to my current 14 yo.
I like the Versa and Micra ... with manual transmission.

Just wish we could get the Micra here ...

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com