Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wrx
Gas Guzzler

2012 Honda Civic VS 2008 Golf TDI

Hello guys, I was wondering what your guy's opinion on these cars were? I am selling my Subaru WRX to buy one of these cars however from the reviews i've read it would seem like a 2008 GOLF TDI would be best for MPG.

What do you guys think? Which should I get? Not really concerned about initial price, I am more concerned about the MPG factor

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
Many on here are big fans of Honda reliability and not of VW for the reported lack. Either way repair parts are plentiful but often drasticly over priced at the dealer by both. Honda's are usually considered an entry level brand while VW is now more a luxury brand. Consider the fact that the VW TDI is diesel with the pros and cons to that. Can you easily get diesel on you route?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Needs More Duct Tape

Slambo - '99 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 44.21 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrx View Post
Hello guys, I was wondering what your guy's opinion on these cars were? I am selling my Subaru WRX to buy one of these cars however from the reviews i've read it would seem like a 2008 GOLF TDI would be best for MPG.

What do you guys think? Which should I get? Not really concerned about initial price, I am more concerned about the MPG factor
Both solid choices. Both manuals, I hope. The VW will deliver on the MPGs, will likely cost more in maintenance in the long run, but hold a higher resale value down the road.

First key: Drive them, back-to-back, if possible. Which one suits you better?

Second key: How far is your local dealer for each brand? (In case you need to use the service department.) Do they have a good reputation?

Third key: Are there independent garages near you that specialize in each? Having a great indie mechanic brings much peace of mind.

I've never owned a TDI, but have always wanted one. Had an '01 Golf for many years (dumped many thousands of $$$ into it.) Have owned many Hondas over the years (two currently).
The Following User Says Thank You to MPGomatic For This Useful Post:
Wrx (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Do some quick searching, find a forum for each and look over maintenance complaints. Actual repair needs, not ricer-induced problems.

Not much goes wrong with either, they're both very good companies. But I think you'll find that most things that can go wrong on Hondas cost a lot less to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Take your time. You have a reliable car.

Apparently you have reached a point in life where your priorities have changed with performance fading and economy rising. In a period of 10 years I went from a 10mpg rocket to a new 44 mpg Honda CRX (1984).

Do some research and don't limit your choices avoid the situation where you regret previous decisions. If I knew your location I would check out craigslist in your area for possible choices.

I'm definitely not a fan of a 7-8 year old VW. I would choose the Honda if those were the only choices allowed, and consider the higher cost of diesel in any cost per mile calculations.

regards
mech

The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Wrx (05-13-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread