EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   2012 Mustang Roush Six Success (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2012-mustang-roush-six-success-23604.html)

UltArc 10-07-2012 12:29 PM

2012 Mustang Roush Six Success

I was always updating my new member page, but I will switch to here. I am at work on a break, but have to say ob my 10 mile commute, usual averaging 35 mpg, my all time high was 43.x, today I hit 48.0 mpg.

I am ecstatic about the result, and am filling up tonight. Later on I will expand on the new changes, but I want to do some research before I put together information on results.

mcrews 10-07-2012 05:46 PM

Must know more!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

UltArc 10-08-2012 09:23 AM

I am going out to test today where I got my baseline mpg/speed charts before. I now have a rear valance, which I doubt does anything, and cold air induction. I do not expect cold air to benefit me, but the cone intake compared to the little mail flap opening should make a difference, whether good or bad.

As of right now I have no conclusive evidence, other than my crazy to work mileage, and my return home mileage being 30+ when O could barely hot 30 before.

I have running around tondo, and then I can get testing done today.

ecomodded 10-08-2012 12:02 PM

WOW good driving ! that is some fantastic mileage you achieved, 35 mpg is a ground breaking (for your car) mpg average.
Good to see technology has advanced enough to average that kind of mileage, with your driving techniques.

What are the hp/torque numbers of the car ?

PrePin 10-08-2012 12:55 PM

One Roush associate who is more on the business end says the axle backs and cold air induction equal 50 horsepower, but I personally have a hard time believing that, especially without a tune. WITH a tune, one would normally expect 15-25 hp from axle backs and CAI. Results vary depending on tune, and equipment.

Without a tune, I would anticipate roughly ten hp out of the two.

I am working on a new lower grill block for the coming months, I should be finished tonight with it.

Spd-Old--New
44-56.5--49.2
54-49.65-46.2
64-41.45-41.45
74-38.6--34.55

New Results North/South-score
44-52/46.4-49.2
54-47.6/44.8-46.2
64-45.4/37.5-41.45
74-37.1/32-34.55
*Start time 10:46, end time roughly 11:05. Start temperature 46 degrees F, end 48 degrees.

Old Results South/North-score
44-45.8/67.2-56.5
54-42.5/56.8-49.65
64-36.3/46.6-41.45+ A/C was on
74-34/43.2-38.6
*Start time 12:10, end time 12:46. Temperature was 87-90 degrees F, which was why we had the A/C on, and we forgot about it during the 64 mph run.

I am glad I made these numbers before, so I had a reference, because clearly from testing there is not a positive change. Please note that all of these were done one time, not multiple runs, and during the day (both on Mondays), so traffic was around, but not strong. I must also note, that while driving on the highway at 44 mph, in a 65 mph zone with cars doing 70+, so air resistance may vary.

I am thinking that my results presented by scanguage and car may not be accurate, and that the SGii may need a few fill ups before it returns to past accuracy. I have noticed differences in SC results, and car mpg estimates to actual results. I have started logging those in with my fill up data.

But either way, as long as I keep 30+ mpg per tank, I will be happy, especially rated for 29 mpg highway. I know mpg will drop with the coming winter, and putting on snow tires in the coming weeks. The belly pan will begin preparation soon, and I am most likely going to lower it when I switch to the 2014 Mustang GT OEM rims and tires come March/April of 2013.

Also, this is UltArc on my wife (PrePin)s computer.

UltArc 05-04-2013 09:12 PM

I clocked in my most recent tank.

37+ mpg. Mind. Blown.

Premium fuel, EOC, warm weather.

Beautiful.

Updating my fuel log now.

HydroJim 05-04-2013 11:53 PM

That's crazy. what kind of power is that thing putting out?

Are you still having fun driving it?

UltArc 05-05-2013 06:05 PM

Usually the standards put about 270 ish to the wheels, I have CAI and axle backs, without a tune, that is maybe five hp to the wheels. I would tune - it helps power and efficiency, but I got the 6 year warranty- so if anything happens, it's covered- and a tune may ruin that.

I have a blast. The biggest thing is my EOC, I believe. Last year I had similar weather, and not as good of fuel economy- but the tires were less worn in, I dealt with different traffic flow, and was not as experienced.

I need to find a lift, and redo my underbody. It was fantastic while it lasted...but the energy it took to get it on blocks is too much for me alone, again. My current project is a lower grille block.

UltArc 05-10-2013 02:03 AM

Tonight I finished the lower grille block.

It takes approximately 25 minutes WITHOUT a lower grille block and 85+ degrees F external temperature, to reach 200 degrees F water temp- and it won't go past 203.

After completion, I took it for a test drive.

I did not do ABA testing. I found at 61 degrees F, it took approximately 16 minutes to reach 200, and by 25 minutes was at 214. I also found the fuel economy was better than ever before with the engine on. I am not sure how much aero has helped, although I noticed my normal coast points forced me to use te brakes (usually I end up at the speed I need for lower speed zones- today I had to brake and slow down to not be speeding). I am more so thinking the increase in FE is because of a warmer engine bay.

It SEEMED that I was getting better fuel economy, but to be clear, there is no real set data. The setup I put on isn't friendly to take on and off, so I doubt it will happen. My only concern is what the top temp I should let the car get to before removing portions of the grille block. Hopefully, I can just remove the little side pieces to maintain a temperature-if I am forced to. I would rather not have to adapt it at all.

justme1969 05-10-2013 09:16 AM

Have you thought of calling Roush? they optimize most of engine systems in stage 3 & 4 cars. They would tell you exactly how much block and such to install. Thier not going to give ya bogus info.