Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
If you see a new F150 in your rearview mirror and want to know if it's an Ecoboost, look at the front license plate. If it's in the center of the bumper, it's not. If it's to the left, then it is. Allows more airflow to the intercooler. It's sad that I look at enough trucks that I know that lol. I like those trucks, they are peppy. Looking forwards to seeing what kind of FE you can get out of it.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
A half tonneau is said to equalize the air pressure ahead and behind the tailgate.

Get you a CAT Scale reading, the adjusted empty weight (which is driver, full fuel and permanent supplies and tools aboard). And use CapriRacers instructions/advice on how to dial in tire pressure -- inside vehicle manufacturer numbers -- by monitoring pressure rise from cold after 1.5-hours of stready=state driving (highway). Best tire life, braking, etc, will be with that ideal number (and, obviously, more scale readings and TP adjustments to know how in the future to adjust them for differing loads).

As it is a pickup I woudn't wait, but upgrade shocks ASAP. KONI or BILSTEIN. Same for changing to polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings. If there is no rear bar (and you want to add one) the front should probably be up-sized by percentage. Be careful as trucks are notorious for the RR axle getting loose.

Do you plan to be towing? Is that the reason for a pickup? What is the trailer spec in that case?

Will you be working off a fuel log and previous calendar year fuel budget? That is, to make both the comparison in mpg truck-to-truck AND in reduction of miles driven while accomplishing the same work? This was the first step I made in taking my truck to 23-mpg from the previous 18-mpg in-town average over a distance of 1,100-miles. I've since backslid to 19, but the total miles is reduced.

The mileage-driven reduciton (cold start, etc) is where the money is on a pickemup. Do the same normal errand runs . . but do them in fewer miles/trips.

Last edited by slowmover; 06-04-2013 at 12:29 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 10:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Making the Beast SIP fuel

Leeroy Jenkins - '13 Ford F150 Ecoboost XLT XTR
90 day: 17.81 mpg (US)
Thought I would share these speed : MPG specs from CleanMPG's test ...

Quote:
CleanMPG drove a two-wheel drive model from California to Georgia with a conservative 3.15 rear axle for maximum fuel economy. That doesn't mean they didn't use the truck like it was meant to be used. There were five adults in the pickup for most of the journey plus a cargo box full of camping gear and supplies that pushed the F-150's gross vehicle weight to 7,120 pounds -- 20 pounds over its 7,100-pound GVWR.

Here's a look at CleanMPG's observed Interstate highway steady state fuel economy at different speeds:

70-mph - 22.3 mpg (6th gear with transmission's torque converter locked)
60-mph - 25.5 mpg (6th gear with transmission's torque converter locked)
50-mph - 31.6 mpg (6th gear with transmission's torque converter locked)
45-mph - 33.9 mpg (6th gear with transmission's torque converter locked)
40-mph - 32.6 mpg (6th gear with transmission's torque converter locked)

Another interesting fact -- CleanMPG squeezed 36 gallons of gasoline into the F-150's 26 gallon factory fuel system by following a slow fill approach that utilized all of the gas vapor space in the tank and fuel lines. This required up to an hour to trickle fuel into the truck.

Reply  Post New Thread