Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Old Mech - now that you have been riding the 300 for a four months, can you update us on how it is working out for you? IE...economy, sort of a long term review of sorts.....?

I may have a longer commute in my future, in which case I will most likely purchase a second (cheaper to run than the 929) M/C to mile out. Something under 400cc, which is the threshold where insurance here changes from very cheap to more expensive than a car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I sold the Ninja for what I paid for the bike. My main ride now is a 1994 Suzuki GS500E. The difference in mileage for me is between 5-6 MPG so far and the Suzuki cost me $1200 but needed another $300 to get it right. That leaves $2500 in cash left over for other projects and the difference in property taxes will cover the difference in fuel costs.

My largest gripe with the Ninja was the overall gearing. The Suzuki matches the Ninjas RPM at 60 MPH, in 4th gear. In 5th gear it matches the 1971 CB 350. In 6th gear it does 5k at 60 MPH. It will run fine down to 30 MPH in 6th gear, but for acceleration you need to downshift.

I think Kawasaki should have gone with the 02 sensor feedback fuel system. I think the California models have it, and much talller overall gearing, at least as tall as the CB, and I would not even mind it as tall as the Suzuki.

regards
Mech
Old 07-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechman600 View Post
Old Mech - now that you have been riding the 300 for a four months, can you update us on how it is working out for you? IE...economy, sort of a long term review of sorts.....?

I may have a longer commute in my future, in which case I will most likely purchase a second (cheaper to run than the 929) M/C to mile out. Something under 400cc, which is the threshold where insurance here changes from very cheap to more expensive than a car.
For pure mileage on your commute, it would be very hard to beat Sendler's CBR250 as long as your size and weight as well as your commute speeds did not test the limits of that bike. I think you could find one for under $3K now without too many miles on it.

Frankly the Ninja was nice but the mileage was a disappointment for me anyway.

regards
Mech
Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Fusion - '16 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
My largest gripe with the Ninja was the overall gearing.
....the common complaint on this forum about any sport bike. Most sport bikes are geared so that top gear has the engine pretty much bang on red line at max terminal speed. From a performance aspect, it makes perfect sense. They aren't designed for economy, to say the least.

My 929 is at 4K at 100 km/h (62 mph). Even if you roll on the throttle from there, the power is ridiculous. It would be fine at 2/3 those revs but then gearing everywhere else (from a performance aspect) would be compromised.

My 929 is my one vice - my one vehicle that I could care less about economy on, which is funny because it gets 40 mpg+ anyway. Tire wear costs as much as fuel - considering I can burn off a nice sticky $300 pair of tires in 3K miles.

I agree with you about the CBR250R being the better option. Here is the average of 577 entries on fuelly.com:

Reply  Post New Thread