Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2015, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
If im not mistaken, the engine will stop when one piston is on the power stroke with fuel but no spark, when the engine has to start again it fires that cylinder.

Ive personally seen this happen on an '85 vw golf. Dad said it would sometimes, but i left for school in the morning and as soon as the key went to the run position before start, it fired right up.

EDIT: I knew somebody was doing it this way.

QUOTE:
"Direct Injection Idle Stop-Start

Another approach to Stop-Start uses no battery power at all. Instead of cranking the engine with an electric motor or a combination alternator/starter to restart it, the Mazda "i-Stop" system uses Direct Injection to kick start the engine. When the engine shuts off, the engine management system keeps track of the exact position of each piston. It can then restart the engine by spraying fuel directly into a cylinder that is just at the start of its power stroke and firing the spark plug to ignite the mixture. The resulting combustion starts the crankshaft turning and starts the engine in about 1/3 second. This trick only works if the engine is warm, so a conventional starter is required for cold starting. But the Direct Injection I-Stop approach approach works just as well for idle stop as a high voltage hybrid system, and it can be used on any gasoline or diesel engine with Direct Injection. BMW uses a similar system on its 2012 model 328i."

Last edited by ksa8907; 12-31-2015 at 04:35 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ksa8907 For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (01-01-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread