Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2024, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2002 Insight hybrid HYBRID

2002 Insight Hybrid Hybrid

I installed a ~ 2004 RSX Base k20a3 engine, 2003 Accord 5-sp M/T into a 2002 Honda Insight.

This is not my first rodeo. I have swapped many Hondas:
1. ‘89 integra 1.6l dohc into ‘86 CRX SI.
2. ‘00 1.6l sohc port into a ‘91 Civic 1.5l throttle body.
3. ‘96+ 3-stage VTEC into a ‘93 Civic.
4. ‘96+ b20b into 97 Civic EX.

Every one of these I’m quite proud of. All of them except the ‘93 my daughter wrecked. I guess I kinda like Hondas.

I am not the first to install an Acura engine into a Honda Insight. The project began much differently - I had planned, and attempted, to swap a 2007 Civic r18 in but couldn’t get past immobilizer. So I scrapped that idea and began researching converting it to EV, which I’d wanted an ev project all along. But even back in 2017 battery prices were just too high to make that all practical. I did some good research though.

I didn’t want to make a hot rod as so many Insights had become. I’m just not into racing. But with the wealth of write-ups on this changeover, it was nice to be able to borrow from the work of so many others. And it is appropriate to mention the main benefactors here: Ecky is probably one of the best known and generous with information. Thank you. Mike from Awesome Racing had a great write-up. MakitaDiesel has shared many of his struggles. John Frana. Thanks to all of you and to everyone who contributes to these forums.

Writing has not come easily to me recently as I went thru a dark spell. Part of that has to do with connecting to people. ADHD. Yet I have benefited from the generosity of many on these forums. But a difficult project like this has been good.

I have always liked the ideas I’ve found reading various articles in the Temple of VTEC over the years. I watched the development of the K and R series engines. I liked the R series because of the Atkinson Cycle design, the ceramic cylinders, and electronic throttle. This is why I thought it’d be a great candidate for “hybridizing” the Insight. It was so disappointing that immobilizer couldn’t be hacked though.

So reluctantly I chose the k20a3 after many failures elsewhere. But it has such great aftermarket support. And this vast wealth of information made my swap much easier. Why re-invent that wheel? I chose the a3 because I figured it was the most efficient of the series. It is essentially VTEC-e with cam phasing.

I installed the 3.4:1 ratio final drive into a 2003 Accord 5-sp M/T, using the accord shifter and cables, and all new bearings and synchros. I followed the example of Mike at Awsome Racing with his ball joint bushing upgrade that allows ~ 2000 Civic spindles and brakes. Glad I didn’t have to engineer that. Braking under high speed downhill, they have worked very well, shutting it right down.
I used 2000 Civic SI 15” wheels with the tallest profile tires that would fit reasonably well in the wheel holes. I can easily drive 70 MPH at very low engine speed. ( can’t remember the specifics here as the car has been in storage a while - more on that later.). But I was interested in low r’s at highway speed. One reason I chose the RSX a3 is for the dual plane intake - the long runners enable higher torque at low speeds. And its low end torque I was after.

This is a very fun car to drive. One night on Donner pass….. ��

The a3 is a rough engine. I’ve read complaints in the RSX forums. The left and rear mount are stock Insight CVT. The right is from Ktuner, I believe. I’m 67, OK? The brackets are all mine though. I built a special wood stand, sat the engine/trans on it, leveled it all up, made templates, then cut out and welded everything up right there. Good ol’fashioned farmer engineering. Seriously, they are very good brackets.

To try to minimize cabin noise I stuck 2 layers of that stick-on black foam insulation on the floors and firewall, one layer in other places such as the door panels, roof and tank bulkhead. I sprayed some rigid foam in some of the remote crevices and railings. In the back I put down 1 1/2” rigid foam under the new plywood floor, and between the floor and lower fairings. It helps a lot but we have to face it, this was never intended to be soft. This is as raw a car as I’ve driven. But very rewarding.

Glad to answer almost any questions.

I’ve recently moved from western Colorado to western Nevada, and that first night driving it out here along I70 thru Utah and highway 50 thru Nevada at some high speeds, that engine just wanted to wind out. Amazing cars to drive! At speeds well above 65 �� !!! (Across 2 states) I still got 41 mpg that night! That’s only possible having access to the fuel maps with certain aftermarket ECU mods.

Throughout the build I have stayed close to industry standards, including trying to be faithful to federal EPA emission standards. The car has a federal EPA emission sticker so I tried to do everything I could to at least have the option to pass inspection at some point.

Now I’m considering a move to California. I understand I can take with me my federal EPA certified Nissan Frontier and license it there with federal emissions (After a visit to the smog referee). I have been reading the California BAR SmogCheck manual regarding swaps (engine changes) and it seems that because I built this car in Colorado years ago as a 49 state emissions qualifier, I should be able to take it into the state under the same circumstances as my Frontier. I can document everything, but after some initial calls to the referee’s office, I’m not so sure.

I realize there are people that concoct ways and means to circumvent emissions (and others) laws. I felt as though I was guilty by association because I mentioned “engine change”. I try to put myself into the shoes of the person (s) appointed to enforce the laws, but I really felt battered after the 2nd call. I’m sure many who do swaps have little intention of obeying even the spirit of the law. But I do. Psychs say one should not carry old baggage from one relationship into the next, and I got the distinct impression I was a nail addressing a very big hammer.

But I took decisive and expensive steps to make this car conform to federal laws from the start. But it’s feeling like an uphill climb every time I talk to these folks. Just not feeling good about this.

It seems my options are these:
1. Do whatever is necessary to pass smog in California (legally) at whatever expense. There are some things need fixed (Stock ECU, EVAP, VTEC switch, rear O2, etc). I’m 67, and don’t have access to a shop anymore. Just a driveway in a respectable neighborhood.
2. Continue the registration in Nevada while living in California. Probably not a good idea. I really don’t want to be looking over my shoulder.
3. Keep it in storage and some day electrify it. Go EV. Expensive and extensive. (Although I do see potential ways to make it a short range grocery getter.)
4. Sell it at whatever loss and make someone a great deal on a really great rare fun car. There’s someone out there contemplating something like this. PM me! ��
5. Part it out.
6. Give it to my ex. ��

I can tell you there is absolutely no better commuter car, ever. If you live out in more rural areas, driving somewhere to work, this IS the car I would want. NO ONE rolls coal on this car! 50+ MPG.

Please, please offer me some feedback here.

Sorry about the pics not showing.

K20a3 in 02 insight.

Last edited by tekcajwolley; 03-05-2024 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Fixes
The Following User Says Thank You to tekcajwolley For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-08-2024)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2024, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Smog and physical inspections could as easy as where you want to have the registration papers sent to: some places in remotest CA & Nevada do not check because there is no facilities. I didn't have smog requirements in high altitude Kern county, currently no smog in Storey county NV. might be a vehicle insurance compliance inspection but that's attached to the insurance you have or at least in the 25 years I have been in Washoe county NV.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks

I’m not sure exactly how this works. I have a Nevada P.O. Box address. I could keep that current indefinitely while actually spending my time in California. Well, that’s not exactly the truth, and authorities are becoming increasingly critical of these situations.
If I were found to be driving around with an “off road only” ECU in a car licensed in the next state while actually living in California, they wouldn’t be very happy.

While I very much appreciate your helpful suggestion, I’ m weary of looking over my shoulder. If I take the car to California I want to do it legally. And that prospect is looking increasingly negative.
K20a3 in 02 insight.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Now I’m considering a move to California.
Perhaps you could weigh this against some of the other reasons pro and con. What part of California?

Old 03-06-2024, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
If you were truly worried about the legality of your vehicle, the not as stock ECU should be trashcanned.

I provided what "everyone" is doing locally to me to avoid your predicament. Is it 100% legal? Probably not but it is very common.
tekcajwolley (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks

I appreciate straight forward replies.
I’m not sure about some technicalities though. Following your advice/comments, how would I even bring this car into the state? My understanding is that all transfers of ownership and new registrations go through the smog check in California.
I’m sure in some remote counties, one can do many things to a car with an existing registration, but the new registration part seems to be vexing me.
And a person can have a “domicile” in one state while actually residing in another.
This build was done in remote Colorado with the intent to be as close as possible to relevant emission standards. My aim was to lower CO2 emissions. The only way to lower CO2 is to use less fuel. To do this I had to gain access to the fuel maps via aftermarket ecu mods.
If this car were to fail at epa reg standards, it would be in excess NOx emissions. As fuel mixtures go lean, nitrous goes up. But at this point it’s a fair trade off. CO2 seems to be the bigger boogeyman today.
One thing chaps my hide are all the “trucks”. Many light and medium duty trucks are being used for no other than grocery getters. Yeah, they might pull a boat or haul a sheet of plywood once in a while, but many are just cruising comfortably to the store or work and back.
My NOx emitting “little green car” is well under the volume they emit. And yet they pass smog! It’s about percentages of the mass, not the mass itself.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
K20a3 in 02 insight.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Perhaps you could weigh this against some of the other reasons pro and con. What part of California?
Northern, upper Bay Area.
K20a3 in 02 insight.
The Following User Says Thank You to tekcajwolley For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
The best option if you want to drive this vehicle in California is to keep it registered in NV. California won't care but your insurance company might eventually. (They consider reporting a different zip code for registration vs where you actually live insurance fraud)

Even if you wanted to try to register your swapped vehicle there is a problem of certifications. The 2002 Insight was certified to the ULEV standard while the 2004 RSX you sourced the engine from is certified at only LEV. Even completely stock the Acura engine does not meet the same emission certification as the Insight.

While you are concerned about CO2 CARB is most concerned about SMOG and NOx is a key contributor to SMOG. If you have lean tuned your car for max MPG you are likely a gross polluter when it comes to local air quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Register it in South Dakota? www.thedrive.comSouth Dakota Has Made Millions From Out-of-State Car Registrations -- It’s like the Cayman Islands for car registrations.
Quote:
One of the hottest states for those looking to sneak around regulations and extra expenses is South Dakota. For whatever reason, the Mount Rushmore State, like Montana and others, has become a bit of a safe haven for those looking to skirt their home states' regulations.
Despite the initial investigation taking place in 2018, the practice is very much so alive and well today. One of the most popular places for out-of-state buyers to flock is, in fact, South Dakota. The DMV's mail-in process for vehicle registration has attracted thousands of automobile owners to register their wheels in the state. As of 2018, there were 58,334 out-of-state vehicles registered with the Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle division which represent nearly five percent of all 1.2 million vehicles currently titled in South Dakota.
That said, when the Rapid City Journal reached out to the department in 2018, it "estimated" an annual take of nearly $7 million. The Drive reached out to the South Dakota Department of Revenue to see how this number has fluctuated since 2018 but did not receive a response at the time of writing.

And while this represents financial success for South Dakota, one can't help but wonder how much money other states are losing. Some states like California are poised to lose hundreds of dollars per vehicle if its residents register the vehicle outside of their home state.

So is this an extravagant workaround that benefits the people, or an unethical loophole being used as a revenue generator? Either way, it's a method people have used to register tens of thousands of vehicles, and that's no small feat

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Just curious why the move to CA? The option not listed is don't do that. That's the missing part of the story.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Reply  Post New Thread