Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I recommend reading "Effective Cycling" by Forester. It is technically dated but gives good methods for riding a variety of roads. Some people love bike paths and others don't depending on pedestrian density.

The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
The Other Andy (10-21-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-31-2015, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Newport NC is a paradox for me-nearby Emerald Isle is a casual cyclist's paradise, and nearby Morehead has plenty of Multi-use paths and a few dedicated bike trails.

The Bad news? I have to access HWY 24, aka the 'Corridor of Death!' (full of tourists running 65+ MPH in a 45 MPH zone) which means no commuting via bike. On days off and decent weather I load my bike into my car, find somewhere near the MUP's and cycle between 18-25 miles for enjoyment...

This has its own logistical problems since most bikes won't fit in a '93 Ford Festiva...so I modified a short but sturdy kid's frame with a brazed seat-tube extension (for adult legs) banana seat, ape hangers, and a hand-sprayed paint job. She fits in my car, is geared down to a leisurely pace of 10-12 MPH at decent cadence and has really decent hill-climbing capacity.

The spandex crowd laughs at me as they pass by, then I grin right back as my tiny 20' wheels pass them on the bridge incline they have to walk! One puffing gentleman confided in me later that he had thought me to be a heat-induced hallucination...

Hence her nom de guerre The White Rabbit.

https://imageshack.com/i/idBbCCfHj

The ironic thing is that I am seldom working in a store that is over 10 miles away, so if Carteret County or the cities in this area ever expand and connect the MUP's together, the Rabbit and I would be more than happy to brave them...

Reply  Post New Thread