Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Diabla - '09 Renault Laguna Hatchback
Thumbs up 38mpg trip at higher speeds

I try to reduce car usage as much as possible and will easily continue to do so with the upcoming of lovely springtime, but today I drove to visit an elderly relative whom I don`t know how many times I`ll have the pleasure to see in the future.

Today I tried to drive quite fast with speeds that I used before I learnt "eco-driving", meaning 105mph on unrestricted highway sections, 65-75mph on country roads and 35mph in the city.
The trip was mostly highway, some country driving & 10% city and I got about 38mpg both ways which may not sound much but is still on the verge of possible with a big and heavy old wagon driving over 100mph.
It was about 6mpg better than it used to be at same speeds with no grill block and a non-educated driver.

Driving method is: accelerate strongly and try to keep it as safe as possible without using much brakes while keeping my safety distance of app. 2 seconds of the speed I`m travelling.

What surprised me most was that for the first time I`ve clearly (not just placebo) noticed how the grill block and slightly bumped up tyres lighten the load of the engine at higher speeds. I only held minimal throttle at one downhill section that I know very well and it easily went 110mph, this just wasn`t possible before.
One Italian driver in an Audi A6 overtook me and I drove in his tailwind for a few miles, I really felt like a cheapskate due to driving so fast with using & costing so little
I only imagine how driving basjoos`s aerocivic must feel, it must be like gliding through the air at ground level

Anyway, I hope this is my first and last car success story and I go on modding my 100mpg motorcycle or even better my 30cpm (calories per mile) bicycle.

Cheers

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread