Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2024, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

My wife tells me that we should rename these things as the AirTab Company is voicing their concerns about how we've acquired these things, Instead of buying them from an official site. Just so others know, I send word about the thingiverse/cults3d site to our shop and they printed these for us. No money was exchanged for this service and everything was freely done by the shop but the printing took several months to complete. The sites are a creative commons site which have thousands of 3D artist creating these things. So if AirTab has an issue with thingiverse or cults3D they need to contact them and NOT pressure me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-21-2024, 02:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
...the AirTab Company is voicing their concerns...
What form did that take? A grievance aired on social media? Direct contact?

It sounds like you sort of backed yourself into the world of open-source hardware. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-source_hardware]

Looking upthread, I see the use of just 'tabs' where Thingiverse uses (Vortex) Air Tabs. I don't see a problem, their beef is with creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/ under the general heading of Trade Dress.
Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Trade_dress
Trade dress - Wikipedia
Trade dress is the characteristics of the visual appearance of a product or its packaging (or even the design of a building) that signify the source of the product to consumers. Trade dress is an aspect of trademark law, which is a form of intellectual property protection law.
To understand how you should respond:
Quote:
Sosumi
Sosumi is an alert sound introduced by Jim Reekes in Apple Inc.'s Macintosh System 7 operating system in 1991. The name is derived from the phrase "so, sue me!" because of a long running court battle with Apple Corps, the similarly named music company, regarding the use of music in Apple Inc.'s computer products. Wikipedia

Old 02-22-2024, 04:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post
HI,

In the meantime, any way to see some pics of the tabs? do they look more like the Air Tabs vortex generators or like the PODS style ? or maybe something different ? Thanks!

First run of 6 black and 6 blue airtabs done back before Christmas 2023. The hsop ran these over 3 mounts when they had a chance to do so. I wasn't sure if the blue or black would look better on our dark blue van. But decided on the Black tabs as they have a carbon fiber textured appearance.

Also, I just noticed that the 3D printed tabs are not designed the same as the official airtabs.. Take note of the wishbone openings.. they curve inward. Would this make a differance in channeling the air flow correctly?
Old 03-11-2024, 04:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

With nice/warmer weather around the comer, we're just about ready to mount these things on the van. Though I'm having thoughts about what is the best way to stick or glue these things.. suggestion like Gorilla glue or "goop" might work better and some sort of double sided tape. Before we start sticking these things on the van, have to go through some minor repairs as there's now a egr error code. While at the performance shop going to have them replace the NGK and add a new set of performance coil packs.. Plus just got a phone number to a shop that said they are willing to paint the roof of the van. I was going to wrap the roof, but felt if I did that and applied the airtabs at the rear of the wrap.. would the wrap pull away..
Old 03-13-2024, 10:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Gaffers tape comes in flavors of stickyness, up to destroy the attached item to remove it. 3M has commercial tapes. I prefer "liquid nails" because you can slice it off with a razor knife up to a year later.
Old 04-08-2024, 01:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

over the weekend I tested one of the blue wishbones on a large metal crate at a friend house.. Using goop.. it took 1 hour to cure. the wishbone stayed put on the crate as we left. so I suspect I'll start in placing these wishbones on our van this weekend..
The Following User Says Thank You to LostinTransit For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (04-09-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 12:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

Over the weekend I had time to clean the edges to the wishbones for perp and placement on the van. this should take place some time within the next few weeks as we've had other issues to deal with. Seems the van has been running sluggish latterly and and we found out why.. the throttle body is getting spent oil and gunk from a breather hose located on the intake accordion.. So it's time to install a catch can.. But this has never bene done before on a transit connect or at least no one else has stepped forward claiming they did this.. Someone has to be a guinea pig.. looks like it's me.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

After cleaning the van, We start mounting 48+ "wishbones" on the van today..
Old 04-19-2024, 04:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
Has Left The Building..

Welp after several hours of taping these things on the van.. the wife and I thought best NOT to do this.. So that means We're out as attempting to filter into the ecomodder group. sorry guys I'm gone..
Old 04-19-2024, 05:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a metaphor?

Who gets the remaining 3D prints? 48 is enough for a half dozen cars.

Reply  Post New Thread