Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2023, 01:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLeSann View Post
The newer 2.2 litre Ecotec from the J-body and S10 platforms seemed to last forever. I had one in my first car (2001 Cavalier) but I could never get more than 25 MPG out of it no matter what. Car never died or failed to work, though.
AFAIK the S10 never got the Ecotec, and I don't remember when the Cavalier got the 122 replaced by the Ecotec. But anyway, most FWD Chevrolets of that era had an excessively short gearing (at least when it comes to manual transmissions).

The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
JacobLeSann (10-04-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-04-2023, 01:11 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ah, okay. I forget which/what the ECOTEC is. Maybe that’s the engine in the Cobalt platform?

The 122 looks like the one, yes. I believe the coils and other ignition parts like to gum up and drop the gas mileage down (what I’ve heard on forums). I had an automatic in a 2000 4-door. Ugly car, ugly color. Had some cockroach charm to it though.

Unless I’m wrong, the 4 cylinder in the late 90’s S10/Sonoma/etc was the same as the one in certain Cavalier models. I can’t recall if it’s the 2.2 litre or 2.4 litre. I seen one with the hood popped and it looked like the same thing.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #43 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobLeSann View Post
Ah, okay. I forget which/what the ECOTEC is. Maybe that’s the engine in the Cobalt platform?
The Ecotec was also used in later versions of the Cavalier, and AFAIK was the only engine fitted to the Cobalt.

Quote:
Unless I’m wrong, the 4 cylinder in the late 90’s S10/Sonoma/etc was the same as the one in certain Cavalier models. I can’t recall if it’s the 2.2 litre or 2.4 litre. I seen one with the hood popped and it looked like the same thing.
That was a 2.2L engine. Only the Brazilian S10 had a 2.4L engine, which was an Opel design like the Ecotec, instead of the 122.

Reply  Post New Thread