Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2021, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
$470 XTOOL D7. Worth it?

I've been throwing around the idea of getting more into diagnostic tools. Why?
  • Because i just spent over $120 to get my brake fluid flushed, most of which was for labor.
  • I need to figure out if my Prius needs a new engine, something a compression test would help me figure out. But you can't just wire the throttle open, disconnect the fuel pump and turn the key.
  • I have a separate set of rims with winter tires and OEM TPMS sensors that I don't have any way to program into my TPMS on my car.
  • The infotainment system has a glitch that I can't fix without a proper tool

Now I did try one of those $50 pirated versions of Toyota Techstream off of Amazon and didn't get it to work. I could keep trying to fiddle with it, or try another vendor.

Or get a tool that would allow me to work on nearly any car up to this point. I thought this tool was interesting, but it is nearly $500. A lot more expensive than a pirated version of Techstream or twice as expensive as a cheap chinese GM Tech 2 clone or just about any other cloned or pirated OEM software and hardware scan tool. But the thing is this tool does them all. So I could bleed the brakes on my Mom's car, help my brother diagnose his AC problems, help my sister with her door locks, and do all my work.

I figure it could pay for itself. But I don't know. I'd hate to blow $470 on a cheaply made device that ends up not doing what I need it to. What do you think?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread