Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldissent View Post
@JJW

the Xa and Xb should have identical drive-train as our Yaris' but the Yaris has less drag and a higher final drive (should be better freeway MPG)

I have gotten almost the same mileage as you with my sedan. I think things have a allot to do with your specific commute and what part of the country you are in. I am in SoCal so 10% ethanol, hot climate(A/C on), lots of traffic and San Diego for me which has lots of hills.

signed quest for 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJW View Post
Does that thing have a 1NZ-FE? It's amazing something so boxy can get mileage like that.. almost disheartening for me with the more "aero friendly" yaris coming in in the mid 40s (hopefully when I can skip using the AC I'll be back up near 50 where it was on my first few tanks)
Yeah, the xA and xB are geared for city driving. The 1NZ-FE is positively peppy with the xB's gear ratios, but like I've said in other posts, it's fairly goofy at highway speeds.

The xB can get into the upper 40s, I imagine, with a mild climate, low speeds, and very aggressive hypermiling. I'll be happy if I can get mine into the upper 30s (90% of my commute is on roads with a speed limit of 40-50mph, so aero mods will help me more). On the upside, I am working on maximizing my coasting, since I have rural roads to take advantage of.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
Fredonia!! I just noticed that! I have been out that way (erie and chautauqua cty's) quite a bit the last few months. It's beautiful out there, granted not a lot there but that's my kinda place anyway!
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Boxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue07CivicEX View Post
Fredonia!! I just noticed that! I have been out that way (erie and chautauqua cty's) quite a bit the last few months. It's beautiful out there, granted not a lot there but that's my kinda place anyway!
It's a nice place to visit...

However, living here sucks if you don't consider binge drinking a hobby (i.e., you're over the age of 22).

Needless to say, I've been looking for a new job so I can move.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

NewBlue - '07 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 38.13 mpg (US)

The Better Half - '97 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 25.84 mpg (US)
Haha, I didn't want to say anything off color if you happened to love it there but yeah I don't mind rural but having some sort of city within 50 miles is nice. :-)
Starting point 30mpg ready...... GO.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #25 (permalink)
Boxhead

Actually, Buffalo being 50 miles away is kind of a hassle. It's not so far you can't go for an afternoon, but it's just far enough that there had better be a good reason to use three or four gallons of gas (depends which car we take) to go there, you know?

It's not the rural thing that bothers, so much as the fact that there are four clashing groups of people, three of which irritate me: ghetto thugs, backwoods rednecks who were born here and intend to die here, college kids, and the Amish. Not being part of any of those makes living here awkward.

Threadjacking rules
Old 06-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Rapidly Evolving Driver

Brick House - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 36.44 mpg (US)
just did my final fillup two days after the trip. This was with some faster driving against the wind - had to get home at a reasonable time and left late - so ashamed to say there were some 80mph against the wind stretches there. And some traffic. Less P+G opportunities. I wasn't a very good hypermiler on the way back.

300.4 miles
8.02 gal
37.45mpg

So in total 668 miles, 16.387gal equals 40.76mpg or 16% over EPA. If I was more strict on the way back it would be even better!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Boxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickinthewind View Post
just did my final fillup two days after the trip. This was with some faster driving against the wind - had to get home at a reasonable time and left late - so ashamed to say there were some 80mph against the wind stretches there. And some traffic. Less P+G opportunities. I wasn't a very good hypermiler on the way back.

300.4 miles
8.02 gal
37.45mpg

So in total 668 miles, 16.387gal equals 40.76mpg or 16% over EPA. If I was more strict on the way back it would be even better!
That's still really good. I've yet to crack 35mpg in my box, but I know it's within reach. I just have to fine-tune my driving.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rapidly Evolving Driver

Brick House - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 36.44 mpg (US)
whokilledthe jams, all I have to say on that subject is that my MPG included leaving thug country, driving through redneck country, (yeah, we got 'em in Cali too!) and ending up in rich, white, and self-satisfied Santa Barbara. None of which affected my mileage, but there you go. ;-)

I think the thing that gets me better mileage, if it is true that cold air kit and bigger exhaust give me worse mileage, (which I have to really look into) is that the car has been lowered 1 3/4". So my roof is that much lower and I have that much less air going under the bottom of my car. I am not really doing anything beyond P+G, drafting semis, max tire inflation, and going slower (50-70 avg) and very rarely EOC, and I'm just starting at this. Lower the car! Just be careful with curbs and parallel parking.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #29 (permalink)
Boxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickinthewind View Post
whokilledthe jams, all I have to say on that subject is that my MPG included leaving thug country, driving through redneck country, (yeah, we got 'em in Cali too!) and ending up in rich, white, and self-satisfied Santa Barbara. None of which affected my mileage, but there you go. ;-)

I think the thing that gets me better mileage, if it is true that cold air kit and bigger exhaust give me worse mileage, (which I have to really look into) is that the car has been lowered 1 3/4". So my roof is that much lower and I have that much less air going under the bottom of my car. I am not really doing anything beyond P+G, drafting semis, max tire inflation, and going slower (50-70 avg) and very rarely EOC, and I'm just starting at this. Lower the car! Just be careful with curbs and parallel parking.
Mine's lowered about 1-1.5" (on the TRD springs), but it has the obnoxious dealer-installed AEM cold air intake. I do desperately need to clean my air filter, too, and I'm going to modify the intake slightly, to place the air filter in the engine compartment, so that it's out of harm's way (my fender liners are all hacked up). My exhaust is mostly unmolested, save for the TRD "sport" muffler/fartcan, which I don't think makes much difference save for the noise.

My next major expenditure on the car will likely be a scangauge, as that will help me get a better handle on what exactly I'm doing, too.