EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   a 50cc or electric mini car project? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/50cc-electric-mini-car-project-3384.html)

ebacherville 06-27-2008 03:09 PM

a 50cc or electric mini car project?
 
Any one interested in trying to develop and enclosed 50cc car.. somthing that can be used in many climates yet still very efficient.. my goal would be 150mpg room for one and a small load , 50cc to stay with in most state codes for motorized bikes mopeds etc.. and 3 wheels to make it a motor cycle if licenced.. My state, like many, has a 50cc 30mph limit but then no licence is needed to drive it or plate needed on it.. and able to commute 30 miles in it.

low cost and DIY project..

Any one want to try to brainstorm on this..

Basically i was thinking like a enclosed trike kind of like the twike car or velo.. but assisted by either electric or very small gas engine for range.

YouTube - TWIKE in Bern - the trailer

YouTube - Pulling into Jones Farm in a Human-Electric Hybrid

SVOboy 06-27-2008 03:23 PM

I've got an engine if anyone needs it.

ebacherville 06-27-2008 04:46 PM

I was actually thinking of getting a Lifan 50cc engines, there a clone of the old Honda cub motors, with a built in transmission , they even have one model available with reverse and electric start.. there only about $250 and that would make a sweet power plant for a micro car. Full gears automatic clutch on them and reverse , a real 12v charging system and electric start.

With 50cc having gears is pretty important..

Now you could do a bicycle gearing system and have gears etc.. but the reverse and electric system and start would be rather complex to rig up , a ready made power plant like these small honda clones would make it far easier.

With a 30mph cruising speed a radio might be nice to have as my commute would be alot longer at 30 than 55.. not to mention headlights and brake lights and signal for saftly to truly make it a micro car , instead of a go kart

ebacherville 06-27-2008 04:58 PM

here would be a good start for a design for the framework..:
http://www.paccar.ethz.ch/history/fanny

Shell and frame design?
http://lh3.ggpht.com/DanFranPics/RjE...JPG?imgmax=640

Non tadpole design.. simpler to design we dont need the lean function at sub 50mph speeds..
http://media.twango.com/m1/large/004...507541268f.jpg

AXMonster 06-27-2008 04:59 PM

The Peel P50 made in the 60's is great.

Shown here on UK's Top Gear programme in a very funny light :)

Funniest Top Gear video EVER! (Jeremy Clarkson in the Peel P50) - AutoblogGreen

SVOboy 06-27-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacherville (Post 39045)
I was actually thinking of getting a Lifan 50cc engines, there a clone of the old Honda cub motors, with a built in transmission , they even have one model available with reverse and electric start.. there only about $250 and that would make a sweet power plant for a micro car. Full gears automatic clutch on them and reverse , a real 12v charging system and electric start.

With 50cc having gears is pretty important..

Now you could do a bicycle gearing system and have gears etc.. but the reverse and electric system and start would be rather complex to rig up , a ready made power plant like these small honda clones would make it far easier.

With a 30mph cruising speed a radio might be nice to have as my commute would be alot longer at 30 than 55.. not to mention headlights and brake lights and signal for saftly to truly make it a micro car , instead of a go kart

Well, I have a 50cc motor and 2-speed cvt transmission already, :p, if you want it

ebacherville 06-27-2008 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 39055)
Well, I have a 50cc motor and 2-speed cvt transmission already, :p, if you want it

CVT is that from a scooter or somthing?

SVOboy 06-27-2008 05:50 PM

Yessir. Honda Metropolitan scooter, :)

ttoyoda 06-27-2008 05:57 PM

how about a 3 wheeled VW 1L body style

vw 1l - Google Image Search

ebacherville 06-27-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttoyoda (Post 39067)
how about a 3 wheeled VW 1L body style

vw 1l - Google Image Search

Yeah the fighter pilot seating style lessens frontal area for sure


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com