Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2014, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

8-14k used car what to buy? Mazda 3 skyactive?

So I am looking to pickup a fuel sipper as I put on close to 30k a year. My current car is a 05 outback. I was a huge Subaru fan until my 07 threw a rod thru the block. While I source parts to fix that have been thinking more and more about picking up something more mpg friendly. The god dam subaru outback struggled to get 27mpg as below 70mph.

A good buddy of mine picked up a new cruze eco. Not a bad car, great mpg( he gets like 43 mpg at 70 now that were on summer fuel in Maine) but I don't trust the reliability of it. I do really like the mazda 3 with the skyactive.

I plan on spending anywhere from 8-14k on something. What would you guys pick? Is there a clear winner for small eco cars?

I have been reading plenty of reviews such as the motor trend 40 mpg test.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Might want to look at the used insight market. No not the 2 seater, but the 5 seater that was discontinued in November. I hear you can get some deals here and there on used, those off lease and such.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I wish I could get a Mazda 3 for that price in my country...

Anyway, unless you have some objection towards Diesels, I'd tell you to look at a Golf or a Jetta TDI
Old 05-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MetroScoopy - '09 CHF50 Honda Metropolitan 50cc
90 day: 97.98 mpg (US)

Training Shoe - '99 Hyundai Hyundai Atoz Prime 797cc
90 day: 31.28 mpg (US)
I personally work for Chevrolet and I’ve (hand on heart) seen some really good things with the Cruzes, at least with high mileage examples, even though they are only 2-3 years old at the most. The biggest problem I’ve seen is with the PCV valve clogging up and the battery cables corroding, but other than that, most of the cars that have hit 100,000 miles (usually Ecos), have been solid in terms of drivetrain. Very comfortable too, I love the way the Cruze rides and feels inside, albeit, it is a little bland after a while.

That having been said though, I’m also familiar with the Skyactiv cars too, and while I wouldn’t say they’ve been unreliable at all, I wouldn’t trust it anymore than what I’ve seen with the Chevys because it’s only really be out for again…2-3 years. Then again, I’d be really surprised if you scored a 2012 Skyactiv car (which I’ve been told by Mazda guys, isn’t such a hot car. All the fun is zapped out of it and it’s a dog is what they say). The new 2013 cars are great looking, but 14k, good luck. Non Skyactiv cars are relatively poor on fuel. My next door neighbor had a 2.5 Mazda3 and see said if she saw 30 mpg, she was lucky.

Diesels too, at least here, good luck.

I personally have a 2011 Civic now, and that thing BARELY tops 30 on a good day, and pure freeway driving only manages 33, so I say that’s not a contender for a 40 mpg car. In terms of maintenance though, it’s a total breeze to keep it up to date. Oil changes and trans oil changes are super super easy, so really, I think that does count for something too.

Sorry, all over the place, my recommendation if you want to start with low mileage and load it up, I’d go Nissan Versa sedan route. Brand new it’s around 14k OTD, and while it’s not a nice car, it will do the 40 mpg and last a long time. Better than spending 10-12k on a car with 50-80k miles or so that only begins to fall apart after 2 or 3 years with the mileage you’d be putting on it.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
hypermiler

Yota - '08 Toyota Yaris 4 door
Team Toyota
90 day: 43.67 mpg (US)

BarbieQ - '97 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 41.18 mpg (US)
Nobody seems to talk much about the Toyota Yaris. Maybe most of them aren't getting the numbers i am which is consistent 40-50mpg with the 5 speed. The poor man's Prius.

"I may be going to Hell in a Bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride." 🚗
Old 05-07-2014, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda100 View Post
I personally work for Chevrolet and I’ve (hand on heart) seen some really good things with the Cruzes, at least with high mileage examples, even though they are only 2-3 years old at the most. The biggest problem I’ve seen is with the PCV valve clogging up and the battery cables corroding, but other than that, most of the cars that have hit 100,000 miles (usually Ecos), have been solid in terms of drivetrain. Very comfortable too, I love the way the Cruze rides and feels inside, albeit, it is a little bland after a while.

That having been said though, I’m also familiar with the Skyactiv cars too, and while I wouldn’t say they’ve been unreliable at all, I wouldn’t trust it anymore than what I’ve seen with the Chevys because it’s only really be out for again…2-3 years. Then again, I’d be really surprised if you scored a 2012 Skyactiv car (which I’ve been told by Mazda guys, isn’t such a hot car. All the fun is zapped out of it and it’s a dog is what they say). The new 2013 cars are great looking, but 14k, good luck. Non Skyactiv cars are relatively poor on fuel. My next door neighbor had a 2.5 Mazda3 and see said if she saw 30 mpg, she was lucky.

Diesels too, at least here, good luck.

I personally have a 2011 Civic now, and that thing BARELY tops 30 on a good day, and pure freeway driving only manages 33, so I say that’s not a contender for a 40 mpg car. In terms of maintenance though, it’s a total breeze to keep it up to date. Oil changes and trans oil changes are super super easy, so really, I think that does count for something too.

Sorry, all over the place, my recommendation if you want to start with low mileage and load it up, I’d go Nissan Versa sedan route. Brand new it’s around 14k OTD, and while it’s not a nice car, it will do the 40 mpg and last a long time. Better than spending 10-12k on a car with 50-80k miles or so that only begins to fall apart after 2 or 3 years with the mileage you’d be putting on it.
What model is your Civic? LX, EX? Auto transmission?

Fall apart?? At 30,000 miles a year and assuming he starts with a used car at 50,000 miles, in three years it will have 140,000. 140,000 miles is hardly falling apart for most newer cars. My 2005 Civic has 105,000 miles and the only thing wrong with it is some paint peeling. You really can't even see it from 10 feet away. Driving it, you'd never know it has 105,000 miles. Plus, I am getting 40 mpg from it and that's without any advanced driving. If one buys a decent used car and takes care of it, it shouldn't fall apart.

I bought a Civic because they are good (reliable and low maintenance) choices for higher MPG. Look for a manual transmission and stay away from the EX. Honda Fits are good choices as well. They should get 40 mpg hwy.

My wife’s car is a Mazda5 with a regular 2.5L. We are getting about 25 combined. My dad just bought a 14 Mazda3 with the Skyactive and loves it. He is getting around 36 highway, but that car was in the high $20’s.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't care if I offend anyone, but you need to word your sentences with some respect. No need for that.

27 mpg with an AWD is pretty good I'd say.
I don't have much experience with small cars but I suggest a Cavalier. My car is an Ecotec with an auto, and its a 4 door. It gets 33 mpg on the interstate, I think it does slightly better now but I haven't checked it. I have a friend whose mom has one with the pushrod motor and 5 speed, it's also a 4 door but has skinny tires, it gets 40 mpg on the highway. $1500-$3000 will buy you a really nice ohc car, get a 2 door and a 5 speed, and I bet you'll see over 40 mpg.

Last edited by 94_C1500; 05-07-2014 at 10:14 AM..
Old 05-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94_C1500 View Post
I don't care if I offend anyone, but you need to word your sentences with some respect. No need for that.

27 mpg with an AWD is pretty good I'd say.
I don't have much experience with small cars but I suggest a Cavalier. My car is an Ecotec with an auto, and its a 4 door. It gets 33 mpg on the interstate, I think it does slightly better now but I haven't checked it. I have a friend whose mom has one with the pushrod motor and 5 speed, it's also a 4 door but has skinny tires, it gets 40 mpg on the highway. $1500-$3000 will buy you a really nice ohc car, get a 2 door and a 5 speed, and I bet you'll see over 40 mpg.
Who are you talking to??
Old 05-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
0.29 Cd and decreasing

Red Rocket - '90 honda CRX HF
Team Honda
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 53.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
Who are you talking to??
I was thinking the same thing...

I just bought a 1990 honda crx hf for $1300 but it needs work. If you are willing to put more man hours and effort rather than more money that could be a route to go. Especially seeing since I had my first take with no mods whatsoever being 49.9 mpg.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Bases on my cars, they pretty much get the HWY rating at 70 mph.

You could get a brand new Mirage to get 42 mpg for $14000.

$10-11,000 could get a Sonic with same power train as the Cruze, 1.4t 6 spd is rated at 40 hwy. Fiesta's are about the same. Some of Focus's are rated higher than the Fiesta on the HWY just like the Cruze's.

Any chance you can cross the border and get a Nissan Micra and bring it back.$9998 Can is under $9,000 US.

Reply  Post New Thread