Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
rta
EcoModding Lurker

Mid/Full Size Car with Decent Aero/MPG

Or, how I am a terrible person.

I'm new to the forum but I have been lurking for quite some time. I have an 80 mile per day commute and a job that occasionally requires me to take calls on bluetooth while on the road. I've been driving a 2001 Impala with a 3.8 which I had averaged around 21 mpg in prior to discovering the driving tips on this site. I was able to get it up to 30 mpg (calculated with pen/paper -the onboard computer is about 4 mpg optimistic) by driving more consciously, however, I spend a considerable part of my commute going with the flow of traffic (70-80 mph). I've tried driving slower, but the reality is I am quite strapped for time, and staying in the left lane at speed doesn't seem to be much worse in the Impala than having to brake and accelerate to deal with lane changers in the right lanes.

The Impala has been good to me- it is quiet enough to take calls, and has a large trunk that lets me haul gear for hobbies each weekend (I travel quite a bit for sport, sometimes with multiple adults and across state lines).

I bought a 2.0l 5 speed Focus hatchback thinking I could save more gas with the 37 mpg highway rating, and so far that hasn't quite panned out. While I was able to squeeze 33 mpg out of the first tank by driving slower, subsequent tanks have been around 30. The car is too loud at speed to take calls, and I can't fit more than one other person+gear on the weekends.

I originally thought something like a Vue would be an answer with capacity and MPGs, but I am beginning to doubt that as it seems most of the 4 cyls take a lot of revs on the highway, and are quite loud at speed. I think I want something bigger than a Civic hybrid, I have found the Prius to be quite loud- and I know the MPG's drop off fairly hard on those when driven fast (still better than most ICE only, I guess due to aero efficiency?)

I am looking at mid/full size cars with 6 cyls as they tend to be quieter at highway speeds and I know some can get decent mileage. I am open to mild aeromodding (lowering, narrower wheels/tires, smooth wheel covers, air dam, partial grill block, smaller mirrors- what was done with the 999 Fusion was amazing). I can't do a boat tail or similar due to my parking situation.

I'm strongly considering replacing the Impala with another W body GM with the 3.8l. I'm also looking at early 2000's 3 series BMWs (I've seen people claim mid 30s at 75-80 with the six speed). I have also been recommended to look at manual Saabs. I am trying to keep to under 5k for a budget- is there something I am overlooking? Is there a fullsize out there that will return mid 30s without having to slow down? I'd rather drive a slippery fullsize than a small SUV.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-03-2015, 02:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New Prius supposedly has good insulation, and even with MPG drop will probably be still the best at 80mph. Other option to look at is used TDI, the RPMs should be pretty low good luck.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
I think the combinations of factors, with the budget makes it tricky. If you end up heading towards another Impala, try to find a lacrosse instead. Seems like Gm trys to throw a couple extra sound deadening tricks at their buicks
Old 12-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I was thinking Impala as well, but with that budget, might as well keep driving the Impala you have. My next choice would be 2010+ Malibu 4 cyl 6 spd auto FFV. 33 rating. At 70-75 mph all of my GM's get rated HWY rating. Not much of a gain over what your getting.

A 2010+ Equinox only losses 1 mpg vs Malibu but can't get one of those for 5k.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
My daughter has a 2007 Impala with the 3.9 and it has cylinder deactivation. Pretty aero car, the same body 2012 with the new for that year 300hp 3.6 went 151 mph in the Michigan police testing 151 mph is pretty fast for 300 hp. The Charger was 152 mph but with 380 hp. We paid $4000 at auction for the 2007 4 years ago with 100,000 miles on it. It has been flawless for us, brakes, oil, and tires. It think it has about 150,000 on it now.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
mid/full

There's a variety of the 2016 Malibu with a 1.5-liter which is supposed to come in at 37 mpg HWY.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Sweet, the 1.5 is new to me, first I'd heard of it. But I don't think even an '08 w/2.4l rated 32hwy would make it budgetwise
Old 12-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

silverado30mpg - '90 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD w/ 3.08 gear
90 day: 18.91 mpg (US)

BuzzBuzz - '91 Suzuki Swift GT
90 day: 159.12 mpg (US)
Man you have so many options. Keep the Impala. There's tons of stuff you can do to the 3.8 gen III series v6. The final drive ratio on some of those is 2.68:1. At the least do a warm air intake that's high flow.

Don't run ethanol blended fuel and put some synthetics in the car. Get Amsoil low viscosity atf for the transmission or Valvoline MaxLife ATF from Walmart - it'll be a massive difference. Do the same for the power steering pump.

For mods go with lighter wheels (alloy vs steel) and find some low rolling resistance tyres like the Nokian WRG3's which don't compromise on traction.

Get frameless wipers as they will create less drag. Remove any roof racks or hood/window deflectors or mudflaps that increase your frontal area or create more air turbulence.

Get a set of Cree LED headlights if you do a lot of night driving or driving in winter. Saves a lot of amps. Cheap on aliexpress @ $32 / pair.

Finally build a belly pan out of coroplast. It doesn't have to look like an ecobox to run like one...
Old 12-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
rta
EcoModding Lurker

I appreciate the suggestions! I will definitely look into them all. I'd like to mod the Impala, but its got about 300k miles on it and will probably be due for another transmission soon. If I go W Body to W body, a WAI and pretty much any other mods should cross over. I'll look closer at the Buicks in particular.

I'll check out the 4 cyl Malibu, but my wife has a Saturn Aura with the 3.6/6 speed auto and that has kinda turned me off to the Epsilon chassis GMs. Despite being smaller and lighter (tighter too) it gets atrocious MPG anywhere besides the freeway. In mixed I can get about 25 out of it, 35 on a road trip, but she averages from 15-18 in mostly city driving. With the 6 it seems to be geared almost too tall, as it kicks down to 5th if there is a breeze or even the slightest incline.

Whatever I get will get some aero tweaks. I feel like aero is going to be more important for me than weight- I have even been considering a Prius and going through with one of the Dynamat alternatives to quiet it down.

My parents have an '08 impala with the 3.9 and have had issues with the variable valve timing- strange surging issues (without any codes) and pretty poor mpgs. I can get about 25 out of it in on my commute, but at the speeds I travel it is always kicking back and forth between 3 and 6 cylinders. Maybe with cleaner aero it would stay in 3 cyl mode... who knows.

My wife wants me to get the 3 series, and if I do, even though it sounds like the six speeds can knock down the MPG I am looking for (quietly) I think my cost per mile would be higher. I'll get this focus sold and keep looking!
The Following User Says Thank You to rta For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Your just getting that Impala broken in, a tranny is cheaper than a new used car you don't know. I took a 03 Malibu to 265,000 till daugher rolled and totaled it.

IMO the full size cars are overdesigned in lots of places the lower models aren't and half a million mles with your commute is totally doeable. I think it is with mine and my Cobalt.

Reply  Post New Thread