Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2008, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
justpassntime's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Eastern Washington
Posts: 285

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
87 Accord LXi Mods

Well here's a little about my car. This was given to me by my niece because it wouldn't run and didn't want it because it was too old. I saved from being towed to a wrecking yard. It's a 87 Accord LXi with 230k plus miles on it.

I had to replace the main relay (powers the fuel pump) and fuel pump and fuses. I suspect that the pump quit and took everything else with it. After I replaced those things it did start, but it wasn't quite right. It only got 21 mpg on the highway.

The timing belt was off one tooth and it couldn't even be timed. Two plug wires were reversed. Fixed those two problems and got 30 mpg combined city and highway.

Bought new tires and got a four wheel alignment done. Got 33.8 on a trip from Spokane to Seattle driving 70-80 mph and the sunroof open. It was an amazingly windless day for anyone that has driven I-90 through Washington state knows almost never happens.

On another trip to Seattle I was driving at night and with those big pop up headlights on I got 4 mpg less. So I decided that was one of my projects to get rid of them. The headlights are from a 1996 Grand Prix. I plan to put lexan covers over them attached to the hood. I am also going to weld the headlight bucket covers to the hood.

First project though was the fender skirts. The sheet metal came from the top of a S10 pick up cab I had sitting in my back yard. I pounded them out with a rubber mallet on a bag of sand. They are attached with two 1/4" rods top and bottom and are held on with one screw and two pins the top rear rod slides into a bracket. They come of relatively easy but take about 15 min to put back on each side. The boosted my mileage 2 mpg. Now to figure out how to do the front wheel wells.

I also have a hydrogen booster in the works. Still scrounging parts for it. I don't like to pay for anything I can get for free.

I am also doing the body work and it's going to get spayed with a rustoleum (not rattle can). There have been some amazing paint jobs done with rustoleum by rolling it on. Check this out for rollering rustoleum, http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1 The Charger is kick ass!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38c63.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1031   Click image for larger version

Name:	8c65.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1032   Click image for larger version

Name:	77ad.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1033   Click image for larger version

Name:	a6fe.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1034  
Honda...the economical, renewable resource.

Last edited by justpassntime; 06-28-2008 at 03:25 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GM mods the Sierra hybrid pickup: aerodynamic tweaks + LRR MetroMPG EcoModding Central 5 09-03-2012 09:17 AM
Large Pickup Aerodynamic Mods buckyball Aerodynamics 43 08-02-2008 06:49 PM
2006 in review: mods vs. technique. And the winner is... MetroMPG Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed 16 12-10-2007 08:46 AM

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com