EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   88 crx Hf - **VTi** swap (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/88-crx-hf-vti-swap-10958.html)

88hf 11-12-2009 01:01 AM

88 crx Hf - **VTi** swap

Started a new thread since the old one was locked with old title.

I decided to put the D15B (d15z7) 3 stage vtec in my 90 crx hf. The engine/tranny/ecu/harness combo should be here on Friday(tomorrow).

I just ordered a 96 civic under dash harness which hopefully I can splice to fit the jdm ecu. I originally wanted to put the setup in my 88 hf, but its my DD and has some front end/steering issues so it will end up in the slightly heavier 90hf for now. I'm hoping to have the setup installed and running for my ~120mi commute to school 3 times a week next semester.

I am making an extensive collection of information about the d15b 3 stage vtec because the information is scattered and scarce. Will post when I get a final revision.

Hoping to bring my mileage into the 70s with this setup, driving technique and aeromods. Engine/transmission are rated 72mpg at 37mph in original heavier, less aerodynamic vehicles.

Wish me luck fellow modders!

88hf 11-12-2009 01:13 AM

Here is a link to the document I've made with all the d15b 3 stage vtec information.

****Disclaimer****
I do not claim this is original content and have not given credit to sources. This is all information that can be found on the internet in the public domain, including images. It takes quite a bit of digging to pull all this up. Its meant to be a convenience.

If anyone would like to revise this document and send me the revision I would be happy to update the posted version.

Warning somewhat sloppy, but good info.

Info About D15B 3 stage vtec aka d15b.doc - Windows Live

TomO 11-12-2009 10:45 AM

You actually got the manual trans, proper ECU, and a wiring harness!?!? Congrats!

The only issue I see is the trans for that will be hydraulic while your HF is setup for a cable trans, but that can be modified to work with a hydraulic trans though.

88hf 11-12-2009 05:58 PM

I think I may use the hf 5 speed. I've read bad stuff about those cable-hydro conversions.

I'm wondering what will be missing that I haven't thought of or read over without realizing. Right now it seems like it'll be in the car tomorrow. Ignorance is bliss.

TomO 11-13-2009 10:05 AM

Sometimes I have heard of TPS sensors being broken and wire harnesses being cut.

88hf 11-14-2009 02:21 AM

Picked up engine

Traveled to the terminal to pick up the engine this afternoon. Everything looked to be in order and it fit easily in the back of a Ford Ranger, plenty of room to spare. A bit heavier than I imagined but FedEx loaded it up with their forklift no problem.

I split open the shrinkwrap when I got home and brought in my new p2j-003 ecu and saw that they had included the jdm engine fuse-box with the harness and it all looks good from what I can tell, seems to be complete. Still have to finish unwrapping tomorrow and make better inspection.

Now I just need to get my crx in place and start removing the old engine. Has 312,XXX miles so I'm pretty interested in taking it apart and seeing how it has held up.

If all goes well I may do the same swap in my other crx, or perhaps I will just rebuild it. Too early to tell. I <3 crxs. I will be sure to document my progress and get some pictures up soon!

old_ 11-14-2009 01:38 PM

Where did you get the engine and ecu? There are a few engines on ebay but they are not as complete as yours and I dont really know if any of them are trustworthy.
thanks!

88hf 11-14-2009 02:05 PM

I originally came across it while searching ebay.ph, then later realized it was on regular ebay. The ecu itself is difficult to find and often pretty expensive 300-$500, so when I saw it for $1100 (buy it now) with harness, transmission, and ecu, I asked if he would take the starting price $999 and he accepted, ended auction for me. Shipping was $285. I've read a little bad feedback about him, but it is mostly very good. Sunrise Motors, Canada. He does a ton of business which tells me hes gotta be doing something right. Gotta go, taking out the old hf engine today (or starting). Everything seems to be in order with the setup, but I can't really say yet.

88hf 11-15-2009 06:38 PM

Today's Progress

Before:
http://2klytg.bay.livefilestore.com/...s/100_0168.JPG

After:
http://2klytg.bay.livefilestore.com/...H/100_0180.JPG

Still have to remove clutch cable, speedo cable and a/c compressor. Already broke axle nuts. Plan on taking the engine out through the bottom.

old_ 11-18-2009 07:22 PM

Does your engine have a 5 wire wide band oxygen sensor? From the pics I've seen of these engines it looks like they have a single wire narrow band sensor. I wonder how the ECU handles lean burn without the wide band sensor?