Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

brucemobile - '91 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer 4dr 4x4

cupcake - '86 Toyota Tercel

jeep - '88 Jeep Cherokee XJ
91 S10 4dr 4x4 Blazer experience wanted...

Hello, newb to the forum. As titled, I own a "brick" and intend on keeping her as I have done exstensive mechanical modifications and am nearing completion on that end and am now looking at painting and want my aerodynamics at optimum as can be expected for this foundation. This is my state-side vehicle and my Costa Rica vehicle is a 1986 Toyota Tercel station wagon 2fwd which is a very similar "brick" to enhance fuel economy. The Blazer is my main concern as I am still working on the mechanical side of the Tercel to get the engine at it's optimum aside from obvious items such as mud-flaps and roof racks. As soon as I have 5 posts, I'll post both vehicles pictures. I have been running the Blazer without a front airdam and will purchase that as my first mod but I was looking for something better than stock. However stock plus some home-grown mods to lengthen might be more economical than the "Streetscene" $200 fiberglass model although that looks pretty cool...money is an issue. My Blazer running a 4.3 V6 and centrifugal ATI Procharger has been getting 22mpg and I have another 2mpg from the engine I am confident I can tune for using EFILive software. Best ever is 24.1 mixed on this engine-OBDII replacement for the old TB OBDI engine including manifold with individual injectors to replace the "spider" MPI.

Any S10 experience is greatly appreciated. I have in mind the "streetscene" poly side-skirts and a rollpan with box license plate and hidden hitch access. Also vortex generators for the back end. I have adjustable coil-over front suspension and run 17" wheels...open to all options and ideas. Thanks!!

Good times!

Bruce

Last edited by overs10ded; 06-21-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Always Too Busy

White Lightning - '17 Nissan Leaf SV
Team Leaf
90 day: 159.47 mpg (US)
Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you know your stuff, however I would suggest reading up on these forums (searching) about vortex generators. Though opinions are mixed, many people say that they are only effective when you have a spoiler behind them (think Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 8 or 9), and might actually hurt your gas mileage.

Anyway, welcome to the forums, I wish you the best of luck, hope your projects turn out well, and look forward to seeing pictures of your vehicle!

~Matt

Current Car: White Lightning

----------------------------------------------

Retired Car: Betty White
Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks Matt! I'll check out more info on the vortex generators. I'm a pilot and A/C mechanic and know aeronautical engineering has used them for quite some time but in some instances they are used to induce a vortex or disrupt airflow so not always in the desired direction of creating smooth airflow a function of the VG's. The 1st gen S10 Blazer as well as the 86 Tercel station wagon each have boxy structures...although I don't see much more than 60mph on the Tercel, the Blazer sees 100's of miles of 75++mph and there is where I'm looking for any help possible.

Good times and good luck with your projects as well!

Bruce
Old 06-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

s-10 forums have a ton of info, s10forum.com They helped me Re-build my 98 4X4. Your not getting bad MPG with that supercharger.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The best mpg I got with the old TB engine was 29+!!! Sometimes I think I should have just stuck with that engine!!! But I want 300hp @ 25mpg! I've used the S10 forums and Syclone/Typhoon forums which are a treasure trove for the 1st Gen Blazers but wanted to see if there is anything new that I can get here. Thanks!

Let the good times roll!

Bruce

Reply  Post New Thread