Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

94 civic dx-winter how long should it take to reach operating temp?

94 civic dx manual.
I haven't driven this car as my winter driver in a couple years, it has typically been my work commuter, so I dont remember how long it used to take to warm up in winter (michigan 20deg F). it seems that it is taking longer than i remember to reach operating temperature. My morning commute route: 15 total miles. first 1.5 mi is 50 mph frontage road. next 13 is highway. It takes until 5ish miles down the highway portion to reach full operating temp.

I leave the temp control switch at full cold with the blower off until it is warmed up to speed the heating process. I dont let the car run in the driveway for more than a minute while i scrape windows.

Background information: summer mpg avg: 51 previous winter avg: 47 this year 43 but i'm chalking the loss to 4 new tires with higher rolling resistance

My wifes car (97 civic) scanguage installed, takes just 2 miles total driving to reach full operating temp.

I really dont want to take the thermostat out just to test. my round-about test is: How long does your car (similar make/model please) take to warm up and what is your current ambient temperature?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

seems a bit long. sometimes thermostats will "leak" coolant past them causing longer warm ups.

they are only 10 bucks. put a new thermostat in it.

Reply  Post New Thread