Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wow I never got a notication there were replies so I never checked back. Amazing suggestions everyone!

Never was able to figure it out and was hesitating paying out the nose for a professional inspection/repairs. The bogging had stabilized to a point where it only occured when the car was hot either a long trip or driving again soon after turning the car off (like going into the grocery store for 15 mins then going home). I've been just using the car for the 10 miles to work and back where I could avoid the symptoms, but my MPG has been declining further to around 30mpg.

Well I finally believe I solved the problem. Turns out I've had a squeal for a while when starting the car, but I had written it off as a loose belt. Well I finally figured out it's the distributor! I took off the cap (only replaced a couple years ago so never suspected it) and it was covered in green corrosion. I limped home bogging and struggling to get up to 50mph on the freeway after buyng a $14 cap from Autozone, changed the part in ten minutes and then drove around the neighborhood smoothly while the car was still super hot

I've ordered a new distributor and will install it ASAP upon arrival, since I'm pretty certain the squealing is NOT a belt at this point. Also my plugs and wires were cheap crap parts from three years ago, so I'm going to replace them with NGK once the new distributor is installed. Then I can focus on getting back into lean burn and doing additional maintenance for the long-haul.

OG VX -- I'll try to follow your intake tuneup once it warms up a bit here. I replaced the fuel filter last week too. Always good to have a guide since I'm very green at auto repair....

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread