Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Buggie - '01 Vw Beetle TDI Gls
95 land river disco discovery

First off, i hate auto correct Im going to kick bill gates right in the junk when I see him

So 95 land rover discovery Just picked it up. Wanted something more fuel efficient but price and my love of these British pieces of crap made me bring it home.

I dont know what I can do to Eco mod it, this thing is less aerodynamic than my fridge. Looking for new tires about 5% larger in diameter and a hair wider. Going to fab up a grille block and need to install my mpguino. tomorrow morning it's going in for a 2 inch catback exhaust. I already have a muffler from years ago.

I know from experience that these things are finicky with timing, need to find the sweet spot. Anyone Ever have one or worked on one?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
The PRC.

Diesel or Petrol ?

A friend of mine had one when I still lived in England. Had a prang so took off a wing and found it rotten like a pear underneath - something to do with the membrane between the aluminium and the steel frame not keeping them seperate so they reacted.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

3.9l gas v8. Automatic (yuck) but manual one I hardly ever see here. I once found a manual discovery after I bought an earlier rover product.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
The PRC.

Ah, the ex-buick aluminium V8 in all its glory.

Are you open to engine replacement ideas or going to leave it as is ?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I would like a 2.5 TD engine with a manual tranny but this thing will see lots of abuse in winter. The last winter we got about 7 feet of snow plus blowing snow for a week and roads were impassable, the other 95 I had worked flawlessly. I wish I would have got some tall skinny mud tires instead of slightly taller and wider mud plus snows but will see what it's like when "it" hits the fan

There is a nice 01 range Rowe inthe paper for 3000 that needs engine work. Would like to swap in a 4.0 hino or kubota turbo diesel.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
The PRC.

The 2.5 Turbo D is useless, blows turbos quite regularly.

The 200/300 TDi is pretty tough - farmers here use them 365/24 sometimes for everything - as a car, animal carrier, trailer puller and even as replacement farm machinery. The 2.5 TDI used to power the 110 as well so its up to the job of replacing the 4.0 V8.

But if you can get parts for GM or other Diesels more easily they could be decent alternatives as long as they aren't too heavy.

A "chipped" 1.9 TDI will make 250-300 lb/ft and use far less fuel than a petrol V8.