Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

96 civic HX shift light

Hi all, just found this site while doing an unsuccessful search for info on the web. Hoping one or more of you can answer my question. I currently own a 96 civic HX that is nearing 217K miles and therefore I'm shopping for a replacement. Test drove another '96 last night that brought up my question. My car has an up-shift light that prompts you to shift for ideal economy. It operates in every gear except 5th (logically because you cannot upshift to a gear that doesn't exist). The car I drove last night had the shift light illuminate even in 5th gear. Which car is operating normally? Should the shift light come on while in the top gear? My searches resulted in conflicting answers. Please help with your own experiences.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2014, 01:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Its not supposed to but its also not the end of the world. I litterally just thought of trying to figure out how to make it work in 5th gear to use it as a primitive econometer. If you ever find out how it happened let me know.

Last edited by Jakins; 01-29-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Old 01-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

OK will do. Thanks for the input. I've got one more thing to check out on this car SRS light is on and horn doesn't work. Could be cable reel/clock spring in the steering wheel. If I can get a good comfort level knowing it's not the airbag, I think I'll buy this replacement car. Hate to see the old one go. It's been a great car.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Yah its the steering wheel. Someone probably took it off and didn't plug any of it back in. You should hook the air bag up to the horn switch a let her rip!!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sounds exciting but painful. My wife got a couple black eyes once from her 91 Lexus. It was an early airbag before they tuned them down any.

Do you know if it is a cable reel problem, does the horn relay still get activated? I can hear a relay click under the dash when you push the horn button but no horn. It would seem if it was the cable reel, the relay would NOT be getting a signal to trip????
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Well, this is interesting. I have had my HX for three months and have seen the SRS light many times, but never a shift light. I think that I will stick to my bicycle for a while...
Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I bought the used '96 civic HX last night. The mechanic discovered the SRS light and horn malfunction were due to a mouse chewing through some wires near the air bag module, under the battery tray. This car had been sitting for quite a while so I guess the mouse moved in. Still got the mystery about the shift light coming on in 5th gear. It looks to be a good solid car with only 94K miles. It does have a few things that need fixing. It needs a muffler and an idler pulley. After driving around in the rain last night I discovered the windows tend to fog up quite a bit. I know the car had a driver's window problem (that was repaired) so I hope the moisture is due to the car getting wet when the window malfunctioned. I'll just have to drive it regularly and see if it'll get dried out. Hope I don't have to track down a leak.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Anyone want to buy a used civic HX? After running 4 tanks through it, I've decided to dump this thing. I should have noticed it when I test drove but didn't. The car has the wrong transmission in it. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the transmission with a low mileage used tranny. Gear ratio is way off. Fuel consumption lousy. Like 33 MPG. Probably too much hassle for me to locate the correct trans. & swap it out. I've parked it and am now driving my old one with 217K miles on it. Back into the 40+MPG zone. Really bummed out about it.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Xist, I believe only the 1996 model year came with the shift light. Possibly 1997, but my 1998 does not have it.

Why are you concerned with the miles? If you don't have any mechanical issues, there is no reason to replace your old HX. If the body is in good shape and you like it, consider buying a new engine or rebuilding yours if you are having engine issues.

As for the new HX, it's super easy to find a good transmission. Honda guys love to swap them out in favor of the shorter ratio EX transmissions. Find a used 92-95 CX/VX transmission, or a 96-00 HX/DX(hatch)/CX(hatch) transmission. When I needed to replace my transmission I was able to find a VX for about $120.

I had a HX transmission I would have sold you cheap, it needs an input shaft bearing. But unfortunately my newer VX transmission is starting to develop the same problem. Looks like I will be repairing the HX now.

Reply  Post New Thread