Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Picked up the tires today. Decided on 195/65/15 after checking with my measuring tape, just about 1/4 inch larger in diameter than the stock 195/70/14s. I used the coupon and paid in advance for the mounting and balancing, That way I can take the wheels that I am getting Sunday and check them on my buddies balancer to make sure they are not bent before I put new tires on them. The worst one of the 4 will be the spare. I think the spare 14 inch wheel is the original 16 year old tire.
I'm sure the gas mileage will suffer on this tank, got stuck in some construction traffic, waiting for the idiots to paint stripes on the newly paved road when they close a lane on Friday afternoon at one of the busiest intersections possible at the worst possible time.
Finally got to a back way so I could P&G some to try to make up the fuel wasted. Pulled onto 143 after checking my lane for a right turn and some Moron tries to pass on the right, in an intersection, and almost hits me in the rear end in the most right lane after I am going down the road. Then to make things even worse, the Jackass passes me on the right, pulls over in front of me and slams on the brakes. A couple of lights later a young girl in a Focus blasts past me and pulls over in front of me so she can slam on the brakes at the red light. I slid over into the left most lane so I can glide through the intersection. 3 lights later she has pulled over in front of me again and runs the red light while I am back coasting to the light waiting for it to change. To top it off I think someone stole my left front hubcap while I was at lunch, but they missed the brand new tires in the back under the cap!

Wierd Wierd day.

A brain is a dangersous thing to waste, and most of the drivers around here have NOTHING to worry about.

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 12-14-2012 at 08:34 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-15-2012), WesternStarSCR (12-14-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #82 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
standard driving for the los angeles area . next friday I am going to the kids homes and brave the traffic jams, mileage drops in stop and go traffic
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #83 (permalink)
radioranger

Check with an outboard motor repair shop , someone makes a great decarbonizing spray for them cant remember who though .
Old 12-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Picked up the wheels this morning at 8 AM. Seller on craigslist met me halfway between our houses, 30 miles each way. I left a little early as I always do when the wife is not with me and got there about 10 minutes early. Shut off the truck and get out, it had just stopped raining. Call the number, he answers, I tell him my location. He says "Im looking at you LOL." He had actually just arrived at the same intersection in Providence Forge Va. Might have been 30 seconds difference in his and my arrival. Put the 5 wheels in the back of the truck, gave him the $50 and grabbed breakfast on the way home, and sitll got back before 9AM. Popped off the trim rings and unscrewed the hub caps from the wheels. Scrubbed them down twice on each side and rinsed them off.

My cousin was celebrating his 70th birthday at 3 PM in the afternoon of the same day, Sunday. Dropped the truck off at Costco on the way to his party. When we got back 3 hours later, they were just finishing the tire install. I did not even check the wheels to see if they would fit, but the seller said they were off a 90 model Bronco II which was the same platform as the Ranger.

It was raining all day off and on, not too heavy but enough to form puddles in the road so it was difficult to get a feel for the difference in rolling resistance. It may be the "placebo" effect but I don't think so. The difference in ride and rolling resistance seemed to be dramatic. This thing rides as nice as most cars now, before it rode like a truck. The tires are rated at 1270 pounds each for max load. The door sticker lists the rear axle max load at 2570, I think, so it is within a few pounds of the tire max capacity. The trucks curb weight is under 3000 pounds, I think less than 2900 but that may depend of the amount of fuel in the tank which can weigh almost 120 pounds for 17+ gallons.

At 65 MPH this truck rides as good as most passenger cars. Before the steering wheel was always bouncing a little, even after two trips to Wally World to have the old tires rebalanced. I'd bet this truck rode better today than when it left the dealership brand new.

Will top off the tank tomorrow to get an idea if the mileage will be any better than the previous 33.34 per tank. Pizza pans next, then the rear extension of the cap. This project is beginning to look like it may be possible to come close to 40 MPG average when the weather warms up in 2013, and the gubbmint will be sending me my social security checks beginning in January. Last tank of gas here was $2.88 a gallon (E10). At 40 MPG that is less than 7.5 cents a mile in a truck that can haul a 4X8 sheet of plywood.

regards
Mech
Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #85 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
stay active OLD MeCHANIC so you can enjoy what you've been working for 40+years. I'm on your heals
The Following User Says Thank You to ron For This Useful Post:
user removed (12-17-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #86 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
heels
Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I run a larger 15 wheel but I do it for ride more than anything. I run the 235/75/15 and they run the bumps and stuff really nice I have a 96 Ranger with the 3.0 stick. I am at 28MPG but No mods like you, I see somethings I may do that you did now that I have read your whole thread now Keep up the good work
Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 AM   #88 (permalink)
radioranger

Good idea on the 15 inch wheels and tires, I've run both and agree they ride better and the truck seems to roll easier, will probably go back to the 15's soon as I can afford it , another old geezer here pushin 62 or trying to tow 50 , probably go with the 4 ft bed cover on the back half of the 6 ft bed like someone mentioned here, only one sheet required as well so pretty cheap to do . ran some 2 stroke oil this fill up , seems a bit down on power could be I added too much , we'll see if the next fill up dilutes it to the right level
Old 12-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Heck my Parents are still doing pretty good considering Pop is 91.5 and Mom is 87. They've been married since 1946. Pop still has two older sisters living out of 4, one turned 100 on Haloween, born the year the Titanic sank. The other turns 102 January 20th, born 1911. She smoked from age 12 to age 93 when they put a pacemaker in her. Hope I got some of those genes.
Pop says he is determined to get to 100, so he can help his 4 sons to reach financial security. I tell him whaterver reason you have to stick around is fine with me, just stick around and maybe one day you will see my Patent become a part of automotive history.

regards
Mech
Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #90 (permalink)
Eco Storm Chaser

Nemo - '87 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)

K-sight - '02 Honda Insight
90 day: 39.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I wrote a long post and the wife got home from work. By the time she quit talking the post timed out, so I need to write another.

2.3L dual plug 4 cylinder.

Metro, I like the convenience of having a truck, but I don't want to sacrifice the mileage like I had to with the F150. Also for trips to the Pick and Pull, and the county recycling center with yard debris. and auctions when I might pick up something for a good price.

Be back later. Thanks for the interest everyone.

regards
mech

Im not sure if anyone has brought this up, but on the dual plug 4 cylinders 1 plug fires on the power stroke (when there supposed to) and the other fires on the exhaust stroke. it is supposed to help with emissions, but if you rewire it they will both fire in the power stroke (like the hemi) witch renders a more even detonation giving you more power and fuel mileage!

I did the same thing on my old 91 mustang

It takes no tools, just about 40 seconds.
This is how its done if you wanted

Step 1: open your hood and locate your coil packs

Step 2: on the FRONT coil pack.....(the one with wires going to the drives side of the engine) label your wires so you know which ones they are
here's a little diagram just in case
4 2
1 3

Step 3: remove all 4 wires and re-install them in this order...

1 3
4 2

Step 4: profit

The Following User Says Thank You to Stacygifford For This Useful Post:
radioranger (12-17-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread