Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Do you (or would you) like to blog?

Ecomodder will soon be opening up it's own blog. It certainly won't be ABG from the go, but I have high hopes for it and if you'd like to be part of the team from the get go, let me know!

We're looking for people who want to write regularly about their own vehicles, automotive news, or some people who would just like to do special features of their own work! Send me a PM or reply here with questions, comments, or to express interest.

Thanks all,
Benjamin Jones

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-17-2008, 11:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
personally, blogging kind of confuses me. At first I thought it was like writing in a diary that everyone else could read, then I thought of it more like a forum with a different structure. Now, I'm just all confused and don't really understand "blogging" Why can't we just post on forums, lol? Maybe I'm too old to understand

On topic though: I would love to blog on a regular basis, but life gets in the way for me. Plus I'm spread thin right now.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I think blogging grew out of the journal thing...but I'm not sure on the history, I'm a recent convert myself.

Anyway, the point is to present some good information here and there in a condensed, "newsy" form. It'll be a bit like a newspaper or such that publishes content with much less emphasis on discussion. It's mainly to reach out to a different group of people that don't really read forums and to present our best content in a more condensed and readable form for others.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
Wouldn't it be easier if there were a small group of writers for the blog that create articles from the discussions in the forum? They could condense the information down into an article and link back to the forums where they cite their sources. There are a lot of informational posts that run out of steam before reaching a conclusion and maybe with the forum users knowing a front page article might be made out of their discussion would keep it going till the experiments are concluded.

It would be better than a wiki since they usually end up kind of messy if anyone can edit. Not saying a wiki would not be a good thing to add once the volume of information gets large enough that it needs a neatly organized index. But to start with a simple article based site would be better.

If you use wordpress for it let me know, I have lots of sites running it and can help with setting it up.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
That is indeed that idea. Condense some of the spread out forum bits and present it in another form.

I've already hacked together a theme for WP, you can see it here: http://ecomodder.com/blog
Old 01-18-2008, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
nut

looks good, are you planning on integrating it into vbulletin so the articles get a thread in the forums to discuss instead of the standard wordpress comments module? That would also get rid of the multiple account thing

I think there is a lot of potential for a blog attached to this site, plus easier SEO

Old 01-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
I had the plug-in installed originally, but I used my roommate as a tester (he's a programmer) and he cursed mightily the fact that the log in was redirected through the forum. I understand it would be nice for forum users to log in automatically, but then I don't expect forum goers to post in the comments and I don't want to put off the section I'm targeting who are used to WP and prolly don't want to have to register through the forum...if you get my drift?

Hush hush on the SEO bitz,
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
nut

Sounds good to me

btw to write posts on wordpress check out windows live writer, you will like it once you play with it for a while. Way easier to write locally and arrange the page then just hit a button to publish it.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Thanks for the tipsy whipsy! If you have any other critiques, do address them too me.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
ok, so after chatting with Ben, still in the middle of that even at this moment, he's twisted my arm into making me install the wordpress software for my own webpage.

I guess this means I'll make time for blogging now, lol. Damn technology!

Reply  Post New Thread