Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
Once you get settled on the site and it starts getting some hits you should install supercache http://ocaoimh.ie/wp-super-cache/

Wordpress is good at handling moderate load but for slashdot or digg level of activity you need supercache to even have a half a chance of staying up for the rush. The standard wp-cache module is not really anywhere near as good at keeping the site up. Even traffic from stumbleupon can bog a wordpress site down without supercache.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
^^ Especially if you're on a really crappy server to begin with

The machine my site runs on has consistently had loads greater than 1.0. The recently migrated (or updated?), but I'm not aware of any changes
Old 01-18-2008, 01:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Jeep Patriot - '07 Jeep Patriot
90 day: 25.14 mpg (US)

Beige Ford Ranger - '95 Ford Ranger XLE
When school ends, I'm going to start riding my bike and my goal is to be able to free myself from automobiles completely (yes, I'm giving serious thought to selling both the Geo and Gloria). I know it will be exceptionally difficult, which is so odd because I did survive without a car before age 16.

I would like to do some video blogs about experiences of weaning myself from automobile culture as I'll need all the support I can get (87% of all Reginians use a personal vehicle for commuting, so it's gonna be a radical change).

Remember: my Geo has cost me $560 a month since I purchased it a year and a half ago, plus the Tempo which has cost me $192 a month, even with the little amount I've driven it. Choosing to ride my bicycle and walking would save me at least $752 a month as no doubt gas prices are going to rise more.

A blog on this site would really connect myself with others and hopefully prove to viewers that living without a car in a suburbia-designed city like Regina is in fact possible.

Last edited by Peakster; 01-18-2008 at 01:37 AM..
Old 01-18-2008, 01:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
Once you get settled on the site and it starts getting some hits you should install supercache http://ocaoimh.ie/wp-super-cache/

Wordpress is good at handling moderate load but for slashdot or digg level of activity you need supercache to even have a half a chance of staying up for the rush. The standard wp-cache module is not really anywhere near as good at keeping the site up. Even traffic from stumbleupon can bog a wordpress site down without supercache.
Thanks for the tip. So far I've only been using wp-cache!
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
When school ends, I'm going to start riding my bike and my goal is to be able to free myself from automobiles completely ...
I would like to do some video blogs about experiences of weaning myself from automobile culture as I'll need all the support I can get...
I am doing the same thing. I used to do BMX and downhill racing. I stopped all my physical hobbies basically in college. This summer I got into road biking while in Texas and got hooked. In Houston, the automobile capital of the country possible (over 7 million cars), I walked on roads without sidewalks or shoulders, or rode my 40+lb road bicycle. This summer I am getting a better bike and will be riding in slightly more friendly conditions, I think. I intend to do more touring trips, though. I could possibly contribute to anything put together for biking if ecomodder (or you) wanted additional content.

At the very least, we can complain to each other about those cars
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 AM   #16 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
When school ends, I'm going to start riding my bike and my goal is to be able to free myself from automobiles completely (yes, I'm giving serious thought to selling both the Geo and Gloria). I know it will be exceptionally difficult, which is so odd because I did survive without a car before age 16.

I would like to do some video blogs about experiences of weaning myself from automobile culture as I'll need all the support I can get (87% of all Reginians use a personal vehicle for commuting, so it's gonna be a radical change).

Remember: my Geo has cost me $560 a month since I purchased it a year and a half ago, plus the Tempo which has cost me $192 a month, even with the little amount I've driven it. Choosing to ride my bicycle and walking would save me at least $752 a month as no doubt gas prices are going to rise more.

A blog on this site would really connect myself with others and hopefully prove to viewers that living without a car in a suburbia-designed city like Regina is in fact possible.
We would love you have you! Sounds like a journey of epic proportions,
Old 01-18-2008, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
How about create a forum category here for anyone to create/hash out their ideas for a blog entry with everyone else?

The way it could work is they post their idea on the first post and everyone adds their thoughts to it and the user edits the first post with the information and ideas from everyone else. Once the post is ready it can be put on the blog. That forum could be set to only registered users can see it so it keeps the search engines happy.

If it was done this way anyone could contribute to the blog without having to create an account on the wordpress side and work on it by themselves. It could be more of a community thing and help keep the post quality really high.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Ecomodder will soon be opening up it's own blog. It certainly won't be ABG from the go, but I have high hopes for it and if you'd like to be part of the team from the get go, let me know!

We're looking for people who want to write regularly about their own vehicles, automotive news, or some people who would just like to do special features of their own work! Send me a PM or reply here with questions, comments, or to express interest.

Thanks all,
Benjamin Jones
Sounds like a good idea.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote X View Post
How about create a forum category here for anyone to create/hash out their ideas for a blog entry with everyone else?

The way it could work is they post their idea on the first post and everyone adds their thoughts to it and the user edits the first post with the information and ideas from everyone else. Once the post is ready it can be put on the blog. That forum could be set to only registered users can see it so it keeps the search engines happy.

If it was done this way anyone could contribute to the blog without having to create an account on the wordpress side and work on it by themselves. It could be more of a community thing and help keep the post quality really high.
Indeed, this was something else I had planned to do! It'll be the weekend soon, so give me some time,
Old 01-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
My son has a blog. I always thought they were like diaries.

http://thekip.blogspot.com/

He uses it as a journal/diary/vent just says what ever it is he feels like at that moment.
I thought about doing one myself.
I have way more to say than there are ears within range.
Seeing what you are planning I guess i should head to blogspot and see what i can see.
I need somewhere to start my book anyways.
Maybe one of you computer guys can head me in the right direction, if blogspot isn't where I need to be.? mebe?
S.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein

Last edited by metroschultz; 01-18-2008 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: I left something out
Reply  Post New Thread