Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
Best if tire spats direct air away from, not under the vehicle. The way you have its better to not even have a tire spat because your directing more air under your car. I think no less than a 45 degree angle would work best. The idea is to keep that air from hitting other things under your vehicle. The more you hit it the more it slows you down.

The Following User Says Thank You to YeahPete For This Useful Post:
WesternStarSCR (10-12-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Alright dudes!! I am very pleased to introduce my cars new mascot, Texas state representative hopeful Robert "big Bob" Thomas. At least that's what I call him.

He is going to make me get better gas milage

Sorry for te crappy pictures. I've even working on it for about 5 hours and its done now it looks way better in person. Yah it's touching the muffler. I probly should have consulted you guys before I did that but I figured it won't get that hot. We will see. I also raised the muffler way up like 4 inches, so it isn't even visible from standing behind the car and I cut the Tip of a couple months ago aswell.

Last edited by Jakins; 10-13-2012 at 10:12 AM..
Old 10-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I didn't want to start my own thread for this quick question, so please excuse the thread-jack.

Can clear packing tape effectively be used as a grill block? If not permanently, what about temporarily to gauge how effective a grill block would be?

I'm wanting to try an upper block on my TSX, but don't want something obvious such as white coroplast in there. And, honestly, I'm feeling lazy and don't want to take the time to fit it at the moment.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Do they have the same offset?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yah packaging tape would totally work^^

I'm pretty sure the BMW wheels have a lower offset by like 8mm at the most. Same exact size though. My tires are 14/65/185 and the bmw tires are 14/65/195. 2% taller. Just a smoother face. Idk if those were ment to be aero dynamic or what

Last edited by Jakins; 10-13-2012 at 10:09 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

so if i were to do a Bonneville spoiler how should i go about the design? something like this?
is this long enough? are these even beneficial? by the way, this will be on my road trip trunk, not my every day trunk. i want to keep a stock appearance.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
decklid extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakins View Post
so if i were to do a Bonneville spoiler how should i go about the design? something like this?
is this long enough? are these even beneficial? by the way, this will be on my road trip trunk, not my every day trunk. i want to keep a stock appearance.

As of today,I've never seen any peer-reviewd report on these 'Bonneville' type modifications,so it's gonna be tough to assign any hard numbers to them.
Here are some talking points:
*many racers at Bonneville are aerodynamically drag limited speedwise,and are capable of wheelspin at very high speed,which can be a disaster if the car goes sideways.,lifts off and goes airborne.
*the decklid extension provides ample surface area for separated flow to re-attach which greatly increases rear downforce,which can positively affect wheelspin.
*the decklid extension also cleans up rear turbulence enough to allow the parachutes to deploy sooner which can be a life-saving difference in an impending spin.
*the decklid extension doesn't violate rulebook limitations for 'stock' body shape (even though it is technically 'cheating' when you use one).
*the decklid extension modifies any existing spanwise vortex to the good and allows streamlines further aft to recombine at nearer flow velocities and pressures,eliminating powerful longitudinal attached vortices.
*while the extension modifies the 'upper' flow,it does nothing about the separation point at the body sides and bottom,which will in turn determine the pressure of the entire wake (so the extension cannot provide the benefit of a boat tail which alters the entire separation point on the car).
*as you can see from your own graphic,it would require an enormous extension to reach out to the 'Template'.
*if you wanted to 'experiment',run your extension out to any length you can live with,and then go 'half-way' vertically to the 'Template' with a 30-degree upswept 'kicker.'
*I've observed a few high-performance cars which have done something like this.
*you buy some effective length by raising the trailing edge of the extension up.(it could be done with clear Plex. or Lexan bent on a gentle curve [when viewed from above],allowing you to 'see' through it when backing).
*if you extended your C-pillars out to the back of the extension as buttresses,you could additionally tailor the captured-vortex with these 'capping-plates.'
*also,if you go ahead and boat-tail the decklid extension it would be easy to do a follow-on box-cavity or proper tail extension at a later date.This is where your money is hiding.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So for the spoiler to actually work it has to reach the curve? I just don't feel comfortable angleing that thing up. It seems like it would be so wind resistant.

Well I must be doing something right because yesterday from my house to the Bmx competition down town I averaged 54 mpg! And that was including getting Lost and circling around finding parking. I got 57 just before that! That's the best I've ever done. I'm getting so excited and inspired to keep this bad boy going. This is all happening on some seriously low tire pressure because I didn't want to throw that into the mix yet (still testing my aero) and my cel came on too. It has always done it when I drive in 5th at like 1200 rpm. I'm guessing because the egr ports and intake mani are dirty. It never stays in lean burn for more than a second or two. So I got some sea foam to hopefully change that. Thanks for all the help dudes! I couldn't have done it without you all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jakins For This Useful Post:
ron (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
spats rock and look easy to install on my short list
Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
No do not angle the spoiler up. The curve needs to follow the contour of your vehicle. Curve the spoiler down in the direction of that curve.

The Following User Says Thank You to YeahPete For This Useful Post:
Jakins (10-16-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread