Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Barbie Car - '98 Volkswagen Jetta GTS
90 day: 19.19 mpg (US)

Spazda - '07 Mazda Atenza MPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
you might consider joining a VW forum. Someone would probably let you use their heated garage in exchange for some beer
We actually have a local online car community here and my friend who I sold my 2000 Jetta TDI to for parts, he has another 5 Volkswagens including my old one. My old car is in parts though covering his entire garage so if I help him clean it all up he'll probably let me use his garage to install the new parts.

5th post means it's time for pictures!

Here's the fancy duct tape I picked up, I feel it's classy enough to optimize fuel economy.

Cut out a strip of cardboard.

Cut the edges to fit.

Cut out the piece for the middle section.

Taped it all together.

Reenforced with more cardboard.

Covered in mustache duct tape.

Test fit on the new bumper for summer (the bumper isn't colour matched to the car yet).

After arguing with the cold bumper I got the duct tape to stick, I needed my genuine "Licence Plate Remover 4000" to stop the flash from reflecting.

Setting off to test it out.

5 minutes in and not much movement.

10 minutes in and it's at where it normally sits, never goes higher then this unless at idle.

15 minutes in and it's nearly at temperature, this is a vast improvement from how it was before.

Just over an hour into my drive and I took it down the highway to see if that would cool it off and it stays strong at temperature even with the heat on full.

I pulled over after the highway run to see how the tape was holding up and the way the snow is stuck on the bumper and rockers gives me some other aero mod idea's I could try.

This aero mod stuff is addicting, I can feel that I'll be back really soon with some more creations.

Last edited by VeeDaub; 11-27-2012 at 08:52 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to VeeDaub For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-07-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
so if I help him clean it all up he'll probably let me use his garage to install the new parts.

Yeah, get on that!
Old 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Now that's Classy! LOL Awesome man.

But yeah definitely take your friend up on that offer. In the long run getting that new thermostat installed is still going to be your best bet.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Just saw your pics. Those snow deposits give you a great template for some wheel strakes. Just imagine them as the rear end of a teardrop and you'll know what to do in front of the wheels too. Combine that with wheel skirts and you'll be getting very nice mileage.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Barbie Car - '98 Volkswagen Jetta GTS
90 day: 19.19 mpg (US)

Spazda - '07 Mazda Atenza MPS
I've already started drawing up some sketches of what the rear bumper might look like, I think I might pick up a second rear bumper from the scrap yard for testing before I take on my good bumper.

My mileage today was 22.42 US MPG, last fill up was 19.33 US MPG so fixing the heat issue along with the aero mod gave me a difference of 3.09 US MPG more.

I started looking at some bolt on aero-upgrades and I am now looking for a set of DTM electric mirrors, it's a small aerodynamic pod style mirror but the cheapest set I've found was $249.99 on a German tuning site so the hunt goes on but I would really love these mirrors.

EDIT:
I just realized that last tank was almost completely city driving other then the 10 minutes I took down the highway for heat testing so that 22.42 MPG is in comparison to the EPA rating of 19 MPG, I feel much better about those numbers now :P

Last edited by VeeDaub; 11-28-2012 at 11:18 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TheCav - '04 Chevy Cavalier LS
I love how that looks. I am building a whole front bumper out of cardboard/duct tape/hot glue. I will post it when completed and tested.

Reply  Post New Thread