Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Have you considered using a V8 supercar front bar/spoiler?
It could easily form the start for a belly pan.

I've spend a lot of time comparing VT/VX to VY/VZ commodores when I see them at the lights or on the free way. Those rounded edges on the back of the VT look better but are probably creating more turbulence.
Also interesting (and I see this on a lot of later model cars) is the 'fake diffuser'

I''d love to get one and open it up and make a proper diffuser and see the difference.

Last edited by nitro-nige; 01-12-2011 at 05:47 PM.. Reason: image link added
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

vectra a - '95 Opel Vectra GLS
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
Quote:
I''d love to get one and open it up and make a proper diffuser and see the difference.
the problem with diffusers is they're maximum angle is rather small, so changes are you don't need to open up the "diffuser" but you'll just end up underneath it... this "diffuser" looks rather couter productive as well as it basically seems to create a round edge... and as most of us know... that's bad, you want a sharp edge.

also the bumper likely covers a lot of stuff like the spare wheel tub and exhoust components and whatnot

*i can coast for miles and miles and miles*
Old 01-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What I was referring to is the black section in the rear bar, that makes the shape of a diffuser outlet but isn't one. I take your point that there is a fair bit of stuff there (spare wheel etc), but isn't that just a creative packaging challenge?
This design of rear bar seems to be 'in fashion' at the moment.
My understanding (limited) of diffusers is gradual increase in cross sectional area and sharp edge on the exit.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Its a shame the monaro boot lid doesn't fit on the VT / VX sedans. Its sharper rear lip would surely reduce drag by promoting a cleaner seperation.

If only an aftermarket company made a bolt on lip of a similar profile designed to reduce drag, not like currently available lips that are designed to increase downforce.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Also I wonder which of these following front ends / skirts would be best for the VT/VX in regards to drag

VT S / SS

VX HBD / HSV Manta

VT HBD / XU8 / XU6

Monaro

VX S / SS (Note it has a smaller grille opening than the base model VX's)

VT HSV

VX HSV

Reply  Post New Thread