Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aero shell

Pic 1. Aero shell 01 old version...finally...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aero shell01.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1465  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Bandit 600 - '96 Suzuki Bandit 600
90 day: 45.87 mpg (US)

Ranger 3L - '99 Ford Ranger XLT
90 day: 21.4 mpg (US)
Looks great. I am currently working on a similar one using pink rigid foam that I am going to fiberglass over.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Interesting. Though it's not as slick as a rounded shell, please post your mpg changes. Even though there would be flow separation at the corners I'd be interested to see if there is still a benefit.

What is the slope of the "hatch" area?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
aero shell flow separation

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaper52 View Post
Pic 1. Aero shell 01 old version...finally...
landscaper52, just took a look at your photo.My thought is that directly behind the cab,and over the forward(white) section of the cap roof,you'll have separation and then re-attachment.And I don't think that's a bugaboo at all.-------------------------------- What does concern me though,and this is an issue Bondo ran into with his first cap,is the "snap" angle,where the descending ramp takes off towards the tailgate.I think the flow is definitely going to separate there,and I'm not convinced that it will re-attach,which will really cut into its performance.If the roof-line curves very gently at first,it can begin to accept even more curvature as it moves further to the rear.Without this initial curvature,the boundary layer cannot survive.--------------------------- You might want to go to MetroMPG's thread for his Permanent Metro Kammback.In that thread you will find an aerodynamic template we develped for tear-free streamlining.------------------------------------------- If you'll scale your truck,to fit under the template,it will illustrate exactly,the path that the air will follow without separation.If your cap fits the template,your good to go,and my eyes are crossed.If its outside the boundary of the template,you could be disappointed at the gas pump.That's not necessary.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aero shell

No worries, mate..I don't think I'm going to be using this one after all.
After driving around with it for a little while, I found it seems to cut mileage (a bit), but makes the truck totally useless as a truck...I can't reach into the bed to grab tools, and if I want to load any large items, I have to remove it completely...consequently I've decided to go with a slanted bed cover instead...I think it's going to come up about 1/3 of the way up the back window, and then have 3 "frames" each covered with some kind of fabric, that will act as a solid bed cover, but can be easily moved or removed for carrying, plywood, tools, bulk materials or whatever else. I'm a contractor, so the truck is constantly hauling stuff. I love the idea of being eco-friendly, but I still need a truck that is practical.
Even so, I'll check out the image thingy you were talking about--sounds like fun!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaper52 View Post
No worries, mate..I don't think I'm going to be using this one after all.
After driving around with it for a little while, I found it seems to cut mileage (a bit), but makes the truck totally useless as a truck...I can't reach into the bed to grab tools, and if I want to load any large items, I have to remove it completely...consequently I've decided to go with a slanted bed cover instead...I think it's going to come up about 1/3 of the way up the back window, and then have 3 "frames" each covered with some kind of fabric, that will act as a solid bed cover, but can be easily moved or removed for carrying, plywood, tools, bulk materials or whatever else. I'm a contractor, so the truck is constantly hauling stuff. I love the idea of being eco-friendly, but I still need a truck that is practical.
Even so, I'll check out the image thingy you were talking about--sounds like fun!
Have you considered engineering into the top/back of it a door/hatchback? maybe even get a piece of canvas or something attached inside, so you can prop it up and form a temporary cap when you need? I think the guy who posts here as Bondo has a similar design on the F150 cap he is trying to commercialize.