Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

aftermarket ECM

Has anyone tried to fabricate an aftermarket ECM? I have a Megasquirt 2 I used on a 86 Mustang convertible with a 5.0 v8, and got 26 mpg on the highway with cruise set at 70, with the top up. With the addition of a wide band o2 sensor this could have been increased some. There were no areo mods done to the car. It was rolling on 255 60 15 rear bf goodrich and 225 60 15 goodrich front. Trans was a t5 with stock 7.5 rear from a 86 mustang with 3.8 v6. With the kind of areo mods you talk about, I could have got 30 mpg highway easy, and still roasted tires any time I wanted.
I am just wondering if there are any other brands of ECM kits around I don't know about? I am preparing to install a 3.0 liter SHO V6 into a 1989 mustang coupe (non fast-back) with a t5 and 323 rear gears. I have talked to people that have owned SHOs and have gotten 30 mpg plus. These engines make around 245 HP under full throttle. With an aftermarket ECM and some of these areo mods; who knows, maybe 40 mpg highway and still fun to drive.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...about the only aftermarket ECM I know of is the Edelbrock unit designed for *their* add-on system.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Aftermarket ECM

The biggest aspect to go to an oem ECM is when you consider that you can track them less complicated OR in view that they provide characters characteristics above and beyond the standard o.e.m ECM (solid band O2, consecutive injection, etc). IMHO, its unforgiving to conquer the share ECM (730 ECM) for tuning when you ponder how the it only leads about $200 to get the add-ons to song. You could always perk up to DFI (like the accel design) but what does it in point of fact provide you with above and beyond the stock options ECM .... .. not much ... except for which the you don't have to 'vaporize' a new promenade when you want to vary tuning. IMHO, only enhance the ECM when you need abilities above and beyond what the investment ECM can provide you (like wide band tuning). But, then you are referring to a $2k investment in a equipment like the FelPro.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There are dozens of aftermarket ECUs you can get, not just Megasquirt. Acel, Autronic, Motec, SDS, and many others are out there. Some are more programmable than others; some require you to use specific types of sensors (or even specific sensor part numbers), and others are more like MS in that you can pick and choose and re-write the programming. Or at least download different programming. And almost all of them let you adjust the look-up tables that are used to calculate injector pulsewidth duration.

Most of these systems are used by hardcore racers, in order to get the best possible power out of their engine under racing conditions. Or to fuel an engine that has been built with enough deviations from stock that the stock ECU can no longer provide the correct amount of fuel. So most of the setups will not drop in to your application without some modification. But they'll at least have names and probably websites for you to check out.

MS is at least an order of magnitude cheaper than any of the other ones that I know of. A couple of orders of magnitude, if you just get the parts and build the MS board and enclosure yourself.

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread