Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with everything you just posted Striker2237.

Intake pipe diameter and length definitely do play a role in the torque curve of the engine. Here is an article that shows some testing:

AutoSpeed - Pipe Dreams

Also, its widely known that warm air reduces pumping losses and increases flame speed in the combustion chamber. Both of these things increase engine efficiency. Not all engines react well to warm air though due to a number of factors, but it mainly boils down to ignition timing. You get too hot and the ecu pulls timing and you loose some of the efficiency you gained from reducing the pumping losses. Each engine handles the warm air differently.

Exactly.

My intrepid had a wai and it would cruise at 60mph, 2100rpm with a 3.2 v6 at 33-37 mpg.

Keep in mind that during summer months with ac I had to reduce my grille block in order to keep intake temps low enough to avoid octane knock. I also experimented with ethanol blwnding to avoid knock and was quite successful.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Magnum - '03 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
90 day: 11.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with everything you just posted Striker2237.

Intake pipe diameter and length definitely do play a role in the torque curve of the engine. Here is an article that shows some testing:

AutoSpeed - Pipe Dreams

Also, its widely known that warm air reduces pumping losses and increases flame speed in the combustion chamber. Both of these things increase engine efficiency. Not all engines react well to warm air though due to a number of factors, but it mainly boils down to ignition timing. You get too hot and the ecu pulls timing and you loose some of the efficiency you gained from reducing the pumping losses. Each engine handles the warm air differently.
Ok, well then ill differ to you on this, I'm used to dealing with massive V8s that have literately 3-4 times the displacement of civic engines and I can personally say these engines don't really care about what intake tube you run as long as it gives enough air to feed it. To do anything to the TQ curves on engines like what i'm used to you HAVE TO mess with runner length or duration/overlap at the cam, then again engines like mine produce about 430 TQ at idle so I just probably don't see a difference of like say 5 TQ from the air box setup as mattering at all.

Reply  Post New Thread