EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   For all you EOCers: after a cold start when do YOU start EOCing? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/all-you-eocers-after-cold-start-when-do-30108.html)

mechman600 09-29-2014 10:12 AM

For all you EOCers: after a cold start when do YOU start EOCing?

I start once the engine is idling normally, when the cold engine enrichment mode is finished.

When preheating with my block heater, I start the engine at 115F on a 50F morning, and it takes about 30 seconds of running before it is idling normally.

When starting cold at work from 70F, it takes about a minute for the coolant to reach 100F and the engine to idle normally.

cowmeat 09-29-2014 10:43 AM

In the Black Widow I would start EOCing within a hundred yards of my driveway, where the first stop sign is.
It's easier to re-start with a warm engine of course, but hey, gas is gas and if the motor isn't on you aren't burning any.

oldtamiyaphile 09-29-2014 11:26 AM

Define 'fully warmed up'.

I'll first engine off once the coolant hits it's normal spot, plus a few km. I don't want more cold starts than necessary.

My Fiat has auto stop start and will switch of once the coolant reaches about 60*C, which is a bit low for my liking so I leave stop start off until 88*C (normal coolant temp).

In either case the engine won't be fully up to temp for many more miles.

Fat Charlie 09-29-2014 11:31 AM

EOC is more optimal than burning gas at any temp.

Except in the winter. Heat coming out of the vents is more optimal then.

PaleMelanesian 09-29-2014 11:38 AM

As soon as I reach the crest of the hill ~100 yards from my driveway. If you want good mileage, EOC is even more important at the start, because the ecu is programmed to burn extra fuel to warm up faster.

mechman600 09-29-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile (Post 447955)
Define 'fully warmed up'.

I guess 'warmed up' can be broken into two levels: 'Operating Temperature' and "Fully Warmed Up', which are two different things.

Operating Temperature - thermostat opening temperature, which is 177F on my car, normal for a 180F thermostat in cooler ambient temperatures

Fully Warmed Up - thermostat opening temperature plus half an hour (or maybe an hour?); the time it takes for the engine oil to be fully warmed up and all the residual water/hydrocarbon vapours to be fully boiled off.

Baltothewolf 09-29-2014 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 447958)
EOC is more optimal than burning gas at any temp.

Except in the winter. Heat coming out of the vents is more optimal then.

+1. To me comfort from the cold outweights a few MPG.

PaleMelanesian 09-29-2014 01:03 PM

In winter, I often don't reach "operating temperature", even after 10 miles. I employ the DWG technique.

Driving with gloves.

Baltothewolf 09-29-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 447978)
In winter, I often don't reach "operating temperature", even after 10 miles. I employ the DWG technique.

Driving with gloves.

Does Texas really get that cold?

Fat Charlie 09-29-2014 02:37 PM

They think 40 is cold.