Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
mikehallbackhoe

honda crx - '84 honda crx 1300
90 day: 55.83 mpg (US)
I am assuming it is the choke, sense it is opened electrically, it also sets the high idle speed. the combination of lower voltage and eoc coasting may have kept my choke on. that, combined with the reduced load on the engine, gave me the high rpms. now I wonder if, even with the alternator hooked up, if I am doing eoc, I should leave the ignition on to keep the choke spring from cooling off.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehallbackhoe View Post
I am assuming it is the choke, sense it is opened electrically, it also sets the high idle speed. the combination of lower voltage and eoc coasting may have kept my choke on. that, combined with the reduced load on the engine, gave me the high rpms. now I wonder if, even with the alternator hooked up, if I am doing eoc, I should leave the ignition on to keep the choke spring from cooling off.
That can quickly wear the ignition coil out. If you want to do this, get a kill switch on the coil + side to kill the engine, so you don't have to cycle the key. Just turn the switch on and let the clutch out to bump it.

I would swap for a manual choke anyway, because I hate electric chokes. Or just get rid of it altogether and deal with the cold starting issue by pumping the gas a time or two and turning the idle screw up 1/2 turn when it starts getting cold out.

Reply  Post New Thread