EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Alternative Transportation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/alternative-transportation.html)
-   -   The American bus revival (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/american-bus-revival-20713.html)

Piwoslaw 02-27-2012 04:34 AM

The American bus revival

The American bus revival - BBC News

Quote:

Motor coaches are the fastest growing form of long-distance transport in the United States, and British-owned companies are leading the charge. So has the US finally learned to love the bus?
Quote:

Inter-city kerbside bus departures have increased from 589 to 778 a day over the past year, while scheduled departures for the industry as a whole, including Greyhound, which shares a British parent company with BoltBus, increased 7.1% to 2,693.

MetroMPG 02-27-2012 11:13 AM

I didn't realize the extent of British involvement in the bus companies. It probably applies to the Canadian arms of the brands too.

I visit friends in Toronto a couple of times a year (~350 km one way), and the last 2 trips I went by coach (double-decker MegaBus), so I'm apparently part of the bus revival.

New, clean double-decker buses, cheap fares, and available wifi. Before these new coaches, I had never gone by bus.

My rule of thumb is: I'll go by bus (or train) even if the ticket cost is 2x the fuel I would burn in the car, provided I can do a bit of work (wifi) en route.

MetroMPG 02-27-2012 11:16 AM

I'll just add:

My biggest complaint about going by bus was the un-skilled, un-smooth driver on one of the trips: full binary pedal usage (gas full ON or brake full ON) in the city portions of the trip made train travel look darn appealing.

Frank Lee 02-27-2012 03:46 PM

Trains are great until the god dang Duggars get on with 9 screaming kids that make you go hunt for a secluded corner somewhere to get some desperately needed sleep.

slowmover 02-27-2012 05:18 PM

Fire up one of those green Dominican cigars you favor, Frank Lee, that'll send 'em away . . . oh, yeah, no smoking section.

gone-ot 02-27-2012 05:27 PM

...a giant, foul, green "gag-master" beans & cabbage & beer phart usually dispenses people to the 'other end' of the bus in no time!

Frank Lee 02-27-2012 08:34 PM

I wish I could conjure up such a fart at will... it would be useful in many social situations!

gone-ot 02-27-2012 09:01 PM

...unfortunately, my wife tells me that I'm too able to do just that too easily (ha,ha).

...and, in two different classifications, too: (1) SBD's and (2) LSR's.

Grant-53 03-06-2012 02:24 AM

I have found train travel more pleasant than being crammed into an airplane. I have been on some decent buses too. Fuel for a train is supposedly 248 passenger miles per gallon. Amtrack runs on freight line track which can be a little rough. Buses may get up to 500 passenger miles per gallon but no dining car. Our 4 kids were pretty well behaved going from Buffalo to Fort Worth with a layover in Chicago. There is always Granpap's riddle about what's the grey stuff in bird dirt. It's bird dirt too. Just for show bring some in a pill bottle. ;)

euromodder 03-06-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant-53 (Post 291483)
Fuel for a train is supposedly 248 passenger miles per gallon.

If it's crammed full.
Trains weigh 100s of tons, and take a lot of energy to get moving.
To make things worse, they even go 120 or 160 kph here, despite the relatively short distances.

Quote:

Buses may get up to 500 passenger miles per gallon but no dining car.
Again, only when full.
And usually, they ain't full.

A local supplier has a contract to build 300 US busses, but will build a second construction plant in Macedonia to assemble them, rather than doing so locally.